Discuss No power to any circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Please don't all kill me here but,

I replaced 3 lights tested those 3 and all working. Went to do a 4th a restored power and now the rcd trips.
Put everything back to how it was and no power to any outgoing circuits but all circuits have 240v.
No tripping at all unless I put in a plug top tester and the rcd goes
Split board 2 rcds, this is a job for a friend who won't be friends with me much longer.

I assumed if I remove lighting circuit (l, n, e)
that I worked on that would restore power to all other circuits but the problem remained
Any ideas?

Avo Mk8

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
If this tripping has only started since you worked on the lights, it sounds like you may have inadvertently put a neutral back in the wrong neutral bar of the split board. eg with the circuit you are putting the plug top tester into , possibly the current fed from that RCD is going to a different neutral bar, so not back through the RCD, so there's an imbalance in L and N current of the RCD and it trips.
Just a thought. 🤔

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was about to ask the same question - how are you measuring this.
I'd say you have two different issues:
1 - why are you seeing 240v but nothing works ( if the measurement is reliable there is a Neutral issue somewhere, possibly something dislodged in consumer unit when you disconnected the lighting circuit)
2 - why is the RCD tripping.

OP
L
Reaction score
I was about to ask the same question - how are you measuring this.
I'd say you have two different issues:
1 - why are you seeing 240v but nothing works ( if the measurement is reliable there is a Neutral issue somewhere, possibly something dislodged in consumer unit when you disconnected the lighting circuit)
2 - why is the RCD tripping.
Rcd doesn't trip anymore stays in but no power to any loads

OP
L
Reaction score
Not a volt stick?
If the rcd test buttons no longer function and you have no power you may need to look if an rcd has tripped elsewhere, before the board.
No not a volt stick, there is only 1 board next to the metering, both rcd test buttons don't work but I thought that was a mechanical test and rcd can still operate if that doesn't work. I also tested at each breaker with rcd off and get no reading then 240v when rcd is on.
I have never seen this before, its extremely frustrating.

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the advice, I went back with a more logical approach and tested everything, tails all good but no neutral when the main switch was on.
Replaced main dist board switch and all back on, I think I lost a bit of common sense and it was late in the day.
Glad it's resolved just weird how a lighting fault came up then the main switch failed.
Glad you got it sorted. Yes, that is a rather horrible coincidence!

Reply to No power to any circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

A
Hi All, I'll add some pics as soon as I can but just to get the thread started, I have a golf trolley battery charger that doesn't have any power. The unit has a light that should light up when plugged into the power socket however this doesn's light up and no power goes to the battery. I have...
Replies
Views
Avo Mk8
Avo Mk8
P
Hi I am about to have a loft aerial fitted in my loft, via BT, as I did not realise that BT requires one for its BT TV service to get normal / freeview channels. The house is only four years old and every room has a tv point fitted and the tv cables all meet in the loft, but are currently not...
Replies
Views
freddo
freddo
multimarcus
Hello everyone, I need to supply power from an A/C wall plug to an enclosure containing 2 power supply units. These are: 1 - Switching Power Supply INPUT 100-240v 3.0A / OUTPUT 5v = 40A --> connected to LED lights 2 - Power Supply Unit INPUT 100-240v 1.5A / OUTPUT 5v = 10A --> connected to...
Replies
Views
multimarcus
multimarcus
D
Hi, an Electrician recently replaced all switches, sockets and spot lights. They also appear to have connected an RCD to the fusebox or installed one - I don't know exactly. However, I now have no power and only a few lights will come on. The RCD is showing as tripped. I can turn all the...
Replies
Views
pc1966
P
T
Hi there, Four outlets in my bathroom and part of the house have no power. No lights in the bathroom as well. I dont have GFCI outlets. I tested all breakers with the volt meter and they all show 120volt. I opened the 4 outlets but dont see any broken wire. Any advice for me? My next step...
Replies
Views
Megawatt
Megawatt

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.