Discuss Noisy contactor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Called out today as customer says my meter is buzzing.:confused:

Anyway, ends up there is a CU mounted contactor switching the heating rads for the flat. The contactor is slightly buzzing when its energised. Its not that loud as the previous tenant had there TV in front of the CU and they never reported it to the landlord.

Anyway, question is this, is the buzzing caused because the contactor is worn or is it pretty much expected. Age wise, its no more than 3 years old.

The buzzing is caused by the electro magnet faces not coming together properly this can be caused by dirt on the faces or wear when this happens the coil draws more current and premature failure is usually the result

I usually replace them as you cant be sure it wont just start up again if you succeed in stopping the buzzing it best just to change it and not get the call again that its buzzing after customer thought you fixed it..... this dosn't reflect well on you if this occured.

When we get chattering contactors here, we will just change them out. Although on a couple of occasions just because I like to play I changed out the shading coils which also cured the chattering problem.

Reply to Noisy contactor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. Can anyone offer a bit of advice please. I've got a customer who wants needs an upgrade to their consumer units. It is a bungalow that has a 3...
Replies
Views
So I am a fully qualified spark with my own company, however I also have a few properties I rent out. One of my tenants asked if they can have an...
Replies
Views
A slight rant. Having just finished a spate of commercial EICRs I really can't understand why we tolerate these wretched things: 1 - I now expect...
Replies
Views
TLDR: is there a legal requirement to have a landlords supply to power an L2 alarm system? Mornin'. Non-electrician, under the cosh from an iffy...
Replies
Views
One of my landlords has an upstairs maisonette which will be changing tenants next week so will need an EICR - I already know there is an issue...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock