Discuss Off grid DC supply in domestic. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deleted account

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just thinking!

dangerous I know.

but I want to get some pv panels up in my home, but thought about setting it up without the inverter or giving back into the grid.

id use it for totally resistive loads like a storage heater or water immersion.
Storage heater would be old style without the electronic control, just the bimetallic strip.

is this permitable to have dc and ac in same property supplying equipment?

what sort of voltage dc would be safest. I’m thinking 50V?

anything i need to consider?

this is just a future project I have thought about doing for a while, but never had time.

if you want to keep the same power rating for the heaters, you will need 200v to 250v DC
for a resistor, I= V/R and P =V x I

would 200 to 250 v dc in a household be safe? And is it permitable?
250v DV is in the same category as 230v AC in as much as the definition of "low voltage" in BS7671 covers them both.
It would be allowed though the same principles as AC apply regarding basic and fault protection.
it would be obviously be a bit unusual in a domestic setup. A while ago I worked on an entirely DC ship.

You might also want to consider whether having an unusual electrical system might devalue your house long term - just a thought.

250v DV is in the same category as 230v AC in as much as the definition of "low voltage" in BS7671 covers them both.
It would be allowed though the same principles as AC apply regarding basic and fault protection.
it would be obviously be a bit unusual in a domestic setup. A while ago I worked on an entirely DC ship.

You might also want to consider whether having an unusual electrical system might devalue your house long term - just a thought.
My thinking is just to set up one or 2 points. Easily disasembled as and when. To run along side normal ac installation. It wouldnt replace Anything. Just an extra water heater or radiator.

Reply to Off grid DC supply in domestic. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net