Discuss Off grid solar shed setup by a non electrician in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'll set the scene.

I'm not an electrician, I have no relevant qualifications but I do have experience with Solar PV (loosely) having had a system installed for some year and various other PV related items.

So I'm in the process of setting up my shed with some off grid power, for no reason other than to learn.

I have decided that Victron components look like a good place to start quality wise.

*I'll say again I'm not an expert so please feel free to point out if I'm making a mistake, your experienced comments are very much appreciated but I may in return ask some further questions, as I'm not an electrician*

I have 2 x 235w panels connected to a Victron Bluesolar MPPT 100/20 attached to a 44ah lead acid battery along with a 800va Victron pure sine wave inverter and a Venux GX controller.

I'm looking for tips on how to wire this up safely as at present this is simply wired as listed above, so I'm guessing I need some isolation, a shunt, an RCD or some fusing and a stake earth. I have made sure that my wiring is all rated at 30amps or above.

If anyone has any advice or articles I could read to learn from (I don't know any acronyms so I will not be offended if you dumb it down!)

Many thanks.

I think the level of guidance you might need is beyond a forum's capability to supply. There are a large number of technical considerations to apply especially once you are generating and using 230V systems.
Possibly you could take in the information in the MCS guide to solar PV, mainly directed to grid connection but gives some useful information.
If the system is not safe there can be significant risks involved.
There should be wiring diagrams with the inverter that show how to connect the system.

That is the best advice you could give me. Many thanks. Will speak with an off grid solar company in my area and get some professional assistance .

Reply to Off grid solar shed setup by a non electrician in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock