Discuss Old Cable colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
Any regs that allow use of old colour cable ie-- red and black if sleeved with new colours (brown blue)
Just found full drum of 10mm in back of my garage and be great if can use it and sleeve to new colours

no reason why not. ( or date the cert 2004 :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:)

i once bought a 100m drum of 2.5mm in R/Bk from a car boot. ( c. 2011) for £10. soon got used.

yous be able to wire a few 10.5kW showers at a competitive price.

Must admit board change I did this week (another thread) I extended some 1.5 blacks using some new black from old stock. Made sense as much of the 80s wiring had blue line conductors.

I'd personally weigh it in or flog it. I'd not be using it for new jobs.

Omg , no way would I scrap a perfectly usable reel of new cable.
I still have loads of red and black singles from when my dad was a factory electrician. I could never just scrap it...

I would have no hesitation whatsoever to use old colours:cool:

The only reason I would not do so is if the copper cores had oxidised,the insulation was somehow or other damaged or for some obscure reason I had run out of identification tape or letters

Having said that,I'm open to changing my opinion if I was provided with a justifiable reason(other than "they are not the current colours") :)

With one exception, BS7671 allows us to use whatever colour we want, as long as we correctly identify at the terminations.
The exception is single core G/Y.

Reply to Old Cable colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock