Discuss Old Honeywell heating system: no idea how to turn on. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just moved into a new flat and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the underfloor heating turned on.

The thermostats are the old honeywell analgoue types like the picture below. I turned it up to the max temp, but the floor is still ice cold. I've also taken a picture of the fuse board that's in the flat but I have no idea what that numbered dial is.

Can anyone help me figure out what that dial does or how to get this heating to turn on?

91BYRAJkF4L._AC_SS450_.jpgIMG_20220622_183856.jpgIMG_20220622_183851.jpg

Not entirely sure…. But heres some suggestions.

Small fusebox at top left is turned off. You could draw each fuse in turn and visually check they’re alright before turning on.

There may be a small button on the time clock that brings the heating on to override the clock.

The big square boxes could be contractors. When the heating turns on, one of them will “click” in….. or some other noise that is louder than a click, but not as loud as a bang.

Is this a rental?
You could ask the landlord for advice.

It is a very old system and could do with some upgrading. Again, if rental, is there an EICR available? That’s a report on the condition of the wiring and equipment.

Yes, definitely ask to see the current EICR if you are renting this flat.

Totally with @littlespark on this. My electric heating is very similar. The big Sangamo is the timeclock, and may well have a red over-ride button on the side. The little fusebox is "off" so the heating won't work. Check the fuse(s) then switch it on, and the stat will control the heat level. You will hear the contactor "snapping" into play when the timer reaches the "on" time...mine goes "booiinnggg!" Set the big timer to the times you want the heating on/off, use the red button to over-ride, switch the fusebox off when you go on holiday etc, or in Winter, re-programme the Sangamo to bring the heating on for background heat when you are away.
Sure, it's old-fashioned...but good solid components mean it keeps on working.

Assuming that the smaller board is the heating and the timeclock is for Off-Peak (Economy 7 or 10) I would expect to find a wall mounted programmer in addition to the thermostat as I can't see that timeclock doing anything other than powering the smaller board; you'll still need to set a program/on/off/boast the heating (and associated hot water supply

The OP says it's for UFH, not hot water...I don't see the Sangamo timer being for off peak, merely a time-switch...
but then, who knows what else there is on the system?

Reply to Old Honeywell heating system: no idea how to turn on. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net