Discuss Old style tools, anyone still got any left? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been watching a Wood Working Program on Discovery, I was shocked and didn't realise that time has passed by without me really noticing, things like Swing Braces and the appropriate bits, Tenon Saws, combination squares, mostly Chippies tools, but it got me thinking what about non insulated screwdrivers, or at least those drivers that the journeyman Electrician could get his hands on, unless he had contacts within the local Electricity Boards, wheel braces, Mason masters, etc you older guys will get where I am coming from, got a tear in my eye posting this, just remembering the old days, sorry filling up now. Anyone still got any of the old style tools left gathering dust?:cry::bicyclist::oldman:

I have got 3 of my granddads Tenon saws plus a Dovetail saw. I have also got his swing brace and a few bits for it. I have a pump screwdriver I still use from time to time!!!! also have 2 paraffin blow lamps in solid brass,

Still got, and use some un-insulated screwdrivers from a previous employer.
Probably still got a couple of braces, but don't use them.
Did have a Rawlplug tool and bits around somewhere.
Still use the uninsulated pliers I had from over 30 years ago,, not on live cables of course.
Still have and use a combination square that I used on trunking, none of your fancy preformed bends for us then, all corners / offsets hand formed.
Sometimes welded up by the pipe fitters if it was a complex junction.
Cabinet screwdrivers,, Yes.

Still got my swing brace, some old spanners, my original conduit threading tools & my old pyro tools. May have some old HSS drills somewhere & probably my pump ratchet.

Still have my swing brace, my original pump ratchet, an old engineers square, wooden boat level, some of my old spanners, an old drill gauge & possibly some other bits. And not for Electrics as such, but I've still got my original 20 Meg scope & Beckman digital.

i've got a 1934 750V fsd a.c. voltmeter, oak case and still accurate. still got the original correction factor list in the lid for 60V and 300V. (separate terminals for the lower ranges.)

Thanks for reminding me tel: I've still got an Avo 7 in an old wooden case & an Avo 8 Mk3. Both still working.

I never get rid of old tools. I've still got my first toolkit from when I was an apprentice in the early 1980's and just about every tool I've owned since.

I think a few of my tools are probably older than I am, they were given to me by my grandad over the years.
In fact I think the oldest I have are a few whitworth taps with a date of 1939 stamped into them.

I have my Pyro and Conduit tools and a C spanner (which I was forced to make as an apprentice)the only other old tool I can list is me

Martindale tester the one where a diaphragm lined up with voltage scale
rawl tool also swing brace small stanley drill
wolf electric drill (lethal torqued gearbox)
floor board saw a scutch
Old style tools, anyone still got any left? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Ah pyro, the glory days. I think I came into this trade when pyro was being edged out by fp. I hate fp compared to pyro, still got my pyro tools but never get a chance to use them... shame.

I started my apprenticeship in 1956 and still have some of my first tools. Rawlplug tools and all sizes of bits, feather splitter, pliers, BIB wire strippers. 6 in. and 9 in. footprint pliers. I still have some 50 50 rawlplugs and no.3 screws we used to fix the old LC cables.

Still have my first pair of proper snips. Not old only 3 years old but blown to hell
Bit of a reminder with my new found wisdom :D

Got given my granddads old metal tool box with electric keys, chisles, wooden handled screwdrivers and a push, self spinning screwdriver amongst other bits.

I started my apprenticeship in 1956 and still have some of my first tools. Rawlplug tools and all sizes of bits, feather splitter, pliers, BIB wire strippers. 6 in. and 9 in. footprint pliers. I still have some 50 50 rawlplugs and no.3 screws we used to fix the old LC cables.
Now you are talking dude, sorry watching some stupid film about old men "Wild Hogs" Anyone still got any of those Stanley wooden handles screwdrivers with the strips of insulating material just before the blade, I bought one on ebay cus I'm a tool tart, augers with the hole for a handle, 2pound hammer and a 3" bolster for chasing, kids today huh, rock on boys, keep the faith, carpet bags, none of your Veto Pro pack XL Stanley Fat max shoulder bags with a pocket for your body spray, sorry having a meltdown, old age crisis moment.:oops:

Last edited:
Now you are talking dude, sorry watching some stupid film about old men "Wild Hogs" Anyone still got any of those Stanley wooden handles screwdrivers with the strips of insulating material just before the blade, I bought one on ebay cus I'm a tool tart, augers with the hole for a handle, 2pound hammer and a 3" bolster for chasing, kids today huh, rock on boys, keep the faith, carpet bags, none of your Veto Pro pack XL Stanley Fat max shoulder bags with a pocket for your body spray, sorry having a meltdown, old age crisis moment.:oops:
body spray???? you cissy.

Reply to Old style tools, anyone still got any left? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock