Discuss Old Twin and earth conductors and cpc? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

elecypwn

Hello, This is the first time iv came across anything like this and i went to quote this fuseboard for a upgrade yesterday and had a look inside and did all the required testing and inspecting and said id get back to them with a date when i can do the installation but came across one slight snag, the current cable that has been used is Twin&earth but with one difference it has a very shiney but soft AL conductor and CPC, is this installation suitable to be terminated to Brass termination bars/protective devices? if not will there be any 17th edition units that support this type of wiring or will it be sufficient to use a board that has AL termination bars/screws? or is it a rewire job/walk away.

You can slightly see the colour of the cable on the neutral side and also on the second picture of the earth bar, any advice would be appreciated cheers.

Old Twin and earth conductors and cpc? IMG_0170 - EletriciansForums.netOld Twin and earth conductors and cpc? IMG_0171 - EletriciansForums.net

if the cable is in good nick, as long as you are careful, no problem. your terminals in the new CU are plated anyway. i would make the comment on your cert. though, as ali cable is generally deemed to require replacement.

Cheers mate,

So to clarify its still OK to do works on aslong as its in good condition, and i should note on the EIC that it is ALI cable and should recomend a rewire within - when ever i think is applicable.

Try and push them for a full re-wire.Ive come across many of these as long as you have plenty of earth sleeving you should be ok, but keep an eye for bonding as sometimes the old installations dont have it.

sure its not tinned copper? looks like it's a 1950's/1960's install

It very well could be tinned copper, i was unsure since this is the first time iv came across this type of Twin&earth, i will try scraping it to see if i can expose any copper when i start it, i just wanted to make sure it would still be ok to go ahead an do the work with this type of cable, because of the material it is. But the insulation/continuity tests of finals and RFC came back ok, so i assume it would be ok to continue with the upgrade like tele recommended as long as the wiring is in good condition and done properly, and comment on the cert because of the type of wiring used it should really be re-wired asap?

definitely looks like ali. to me, looking at the neutrals twisted in the block.

I rang my ELECSA tech line and the guy said it was common practice to use that type of twin and earth back in the 60s and still satisfactory to have aslong as the current installation is in good nick as you said tele, but ill have a good look at it while im upgrading the board to see if it is ali or tinned copper, Cheers guys thanks for the info!

if it's ali. don't twist the ends when terminating and give them a tug, make sure they're not fractured after terminating. as said, if all test results come in OK< then recommend a 5 yearly inspection schedule.

As above really, doubtfull its ali with pvc sheathing would prob be tinned copper. Only ali i've come across is the old black rubber.

Back in the early 70's there was a copper shortage and ali was widely used. Looks the same as old T/E but is larger....2.5 equivalent looks more like todays 4mm. There's a whole estate near me done in the stuff.

Tell em its dangerous and they have to pay 10k for a rewire then go around and cut every wire in every acessory in the house just to make sure they dont turn their dangerous circuits on.....

Anybody remember 'copper clad' (copper clad alluminium) in the 70's. Bulky stuff. Came in for a short time because of the copper shortage. Came across it a few times but wouldn't use it. Never seem to find it in old installations these days.

Remember too, that ali conductors have about 75% the ccc of copper for the same size (notice you won't find ccc for ali listed in regs!). You'll need to take this into account.

Reply to Old Twin and earth conductors and cpc? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock