Discuss Online Trades College FRAUD! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good day to you all and thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

The reason for it’s creation lies in a dark place where I’ve slowly realised I may have been a victim to fraud. As an individual from the hospitality sector, a hard hitting impact from the pandemic lead me to take desperate measures and accept a finance agreement from a “home learning college” called - NTC / New Trades Career.

An online form was filled out initially and not heard back from for a couple of months. As the year of 2021 started I received a call and was given an online interview as well as videos explaining the 97% pass rate for the college.

A long list of City & Guilds qualifications were promised and a “interest free loan” of £7800.00 was offered after a “in-depth” review for which the sales man made the mistake of leaving his discussion with the finance company Carnegie Cosumer Finance on loudspeaker which I ignorantly ignored (there was no review of eligibility just a straight up acceptance of the finance).

I have ONLY been provided with course-books and nothing further, I was promised “around the clock support from dedicated tutors” in an attempt to contact them, my “dedicated” tutor wasn’t even there to answer the call and his plumbing counterpart simply outlined that I should circle the answers and hand in the results online.

The promised “virtual learning” is nowhere to be seen and I am now paying £180.00 per month with no choice but to continue suffering in silence.

I cannot believe I have been sold into a deal like this, even if no one can help me escape this financial prison of an agreement, if this forum can even stop another young lad or older gentlemen from being in my position at least some of you will be able to finesse these venomous fangs of manipulation.

I plead to anyone who can help me get out of this deal, as a family man I am struggling to stay afloat and now have another huge bill to deal with.

Thank you all for your time, J.

Aye ye bought rubbish, but get off them what ya can or stop paying as service not provided, but probably get letters every week from debt company if ya did pull plug...

This has been going on for years, as people not happy with fees they paying and outcome achieved

Do you have paperwork for the finance in the name of Carnegie Consumer Finance?

Have you complained to them about lack of service for which they provided the finance?

Much like a Finance Company owns a car untill all the finance is paid off, then Carnegie must own the training untill the finance is paid off.
It's in their interest to ensure you and they get what has been paid for and if not put pressure on NTC or stop dealing with them.

You can use the Financial Service Ombudsman but you need to have contacted the Finance Company first.

For any finance agreement to be enforceable the finance provider requires your signature and to show they took steps to ensure you both fully understood the agreement and importantly carried out affordability checks. without these they might struggle to pursue it, especially if this dubious college acted as a broker - in which case if they were not licensed correctly then its game over as the finance was not provided or taken out in accordance with the regulations. speak to citizens advice but I would in first instance ask the finance provider for a copy of the CCA - consumer credit agreement... you may find that the college embellished the truth to get the finance in which case they are up proverbial creek without a paddle when the ombudsman gets involved.

Thank you all for your responses, I will try to answer all the questions in one reply, I did contact the college firstly saying I no longer want to be a part of the course due to affordability they said I can’t leave but that I should contact the financier to deal with reduced payments.

Carnegie financial then said it will affect my credit score if I apply to reduce monthly payments.

My next course of action is to contact the financial ombudsman service, I am worried that if I cancel payments to Carnegie they will send debt collectors my way.

I get very nervous with enforcement agencies and cannot deal with the stress at my front door hence why I am so hesitant.

Totally stuck, what a way to start the year.

For any finance agreement to be enforceable the finance provider requires your signature and to show they took steps to ensure you both fully understood the agreement and importantly carried out affordability checks. without these they might struggle to pursue it, especially if this dubious college acted as a broker - in which case if they were not licensed correctly then its game over as the finance was not provided or taken out in accordance with the regulations. speak to citizens advice but I would in first instance ask the finance provider for a copy of the CCA - consumer credit agreement... you may find that the college embellished the truth to get the finance in which case they are up proverbial creek without a paddle when the ombudsman gets involved.
I had to sign an agreement online but I was told that within 6 months the work I’d get would practically pay off my course.

Do you have paperwork for the finance in the name of Carnegie Consumer Finance?

Have you complained to them about lack of service for which they provided the finance?

Much like a Finance Company owns a car untill all the finance is paid off, then Carnegie must own the training untill the finance is paid off.
It's in their interest to ensure you and they get what has been paid for and if not put pressure on NTC or stop dealing with them.

You can use the Financial Service Ombudsman but you need to have contacted the Finance Company first.
I haven’t complained about the lack of service specifically but more towards the general affordability of the course.

I was self-employed as a cabbie for now and have since become unemployed pending interviews for work. This may actually work as a loop hole as my income and expenses were pretty much barely scraping the break even point due to the pandemic.

Be careful stopping payments as it might be like (as an example) carphone warehouse where you sign multiple contracts for phone and airtime as separate entities even though theyre interdependent - if the phone stops working and they don't feel like fixing it you "can't" just stop paying and they will go after you if you do.

Good luck.

stop payments immediately. contact the finance company and tell them that you are not getting what you have paid for . that the "product" was mis described, and that they should contact the supplier to resolve.

Aye ye bought rubbish, but get off them what ya can or stop paying as service not provided, but probably get letters every week from debt company if ya did pull plug...

This has been going on for years, as people not happy with fees they paying and outcome achieved
Thanks for your response. If I stop the payments, will debt collectors show up at my door though? Or just letters? The figure of £7800.00 is not exactly a light fee.

Reply to Online Trades College FRAUD! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net