Discuss Open knockout holes covered up ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reading various docs I find it can be not so cut and dried. There is the idea of a fireproof wall needing fire pads in the socket that I can see. There is also regs which require any connection to be fireproof. I think 421 and 625 off the top of my head. Although thin metal galv can be seen as fireproof, when a hole is left in it then the fireproof nature of the containment is compromised. It is clear, among other items, that penetration of any stud wall (or ceiling/floor) with electrical connections/accessories does increase risk of fire where there is not fireproof containment. Just to distinguish the two ideas, one is the fireproof nature of the walls the other the fireproof nature of electrical accessories/connections in stud walls. I am undecided as to what is the final fact on the matter it is open to interpretation as usual.

The only part of 421 which could be siad to apply is 421.1.6 which requires that enclosures comply with a relevant standard, you'd need to look up the product standard for backbones to find out what that is.

Chapter 62 doesn't exist so there isn't a 625, did you mean another section?

Backboxes are not fireproof, they are full of gaps for a start, plus they are thin metal.
I suspect that if exposed to fire then all unused knockouts will just pop out as the metal distorts as it gets hot.
The construction of the boxes has gaps in it, thorugh design and/or poor fitup.
Plus they often have grease left on them from manufacture which is likely flammable.

Then there are plastic plasterboard boxes, full of holes and liable to melt when exposed to fire, so also not fireproof to the point that they wouldn't even be on sale if any fireproofing was required.

isn't a 625
Ah yes, thinking of the 17th edition which was scrapped in the 18th
[automerge]1596913368[/automerge]
open grommet with one or two cables
If it had a pad in or behind/around the box it would.
[automerge]1596915045[/automerge]
However I accept what you are saying just exploring in a little more depth, it is always good to learn more. Of course we do not know if the OP was referring to a normal stud wall or fireproofing stud wall. What say you OP?

Last edited:
Although thin metal galv can be seen as fireproof, when a hole is left in it then the fireproof nature of the containment is compromised.

So do all the fixing holes in a metal galv box constitute a risk

Opens the argument of what is fireproof and fire resistant

Reply to Open knockout holes covered up ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock