Discuss Open & Short circuit in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What's a closed circuit? a complete circuit it's closed /complete - continuous.

What's a open circuit? it's open it has a opening in it, it's not continuous.

How would you check a circuit was continuous? You check it's continuity - you do a continuity test.

What meter do you use for a continuity test?.......

What's a Short Circuit? Taking a shortcut skipping the load example Line and Neutral coming into contact skipping the load.

What might cause Line and Neutral to come into contact? a break down of insulation

How do check insulation? Insulation Resistance test.

what meter do you use?......

you can actually use either meter to check either fault but thats not 'technically' right and an earth fault is basically just a short circuit but again that's another story hope that helped.

if not meh :)

I've actually got a pipe. Bought it off ebay specifically for pointing at things in that 'point at it with a pipe' way.

All you need now is a mantle piece to lean on whilst exchanging fireside stories.

I can’t shake this image of a Welshman in waders a smoking jacket waving a pipe about....with a knackered sheep in the corner! ?

Does the experience include ladies with a proclivity for not wearing clothes, gyrating round a pole to some rather thumping music. ...or. I thinks by a different gentleman's club experience?

How coarse.

Words.

Evening all,

I'm new to this so apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong threads.

I'm an apprentice electrician.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, my college assignments are currently being handed out online with very little communication and interaction from the tutors.
I'm struggling with one section of an assignment. I have tried contacting my tutor, but have yet to receive a reply, so have come here to see if I can pick up advice or pointers that might help me out, so I can get the work completed.
The section I'm struggling with asks:
Describe the process of testing for (Include tester type and expected readings)
  • Open Circuit
  • Short Circuit

Having just started the 'Faults' unit before the college closed, and not having covered this area, I'm finding it difficult to find the correct process of these tests.
I have tried online but all I'm seeming to find is information about auto electrics.

Any help would be very appreciated

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well!!
An open circuit is where there is a break in the conductor and a short circuit is where a live and earth are touching or live and neutral etc ie where the electricity is not taking the correct path but a SHORTER circuit.

Reply to Open & Short circuit in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net