Discuss Other trades:- Give us sparkies a break in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I was asked over the phone to come and move an outlet as it was in the way of a new kitchen cabinet. A couple of inches to the left to miss the unit.
"Sure", I said "I'm not busy today. Give me half an hour to get there"
By the time I got there... within the half hour, the kitchen fitter had given up for the day.
This is what I found. Screwed to the wall, and screwed to the unit on the other side. At least the worktop wasn't in place.

Other trades:- Give us sparkies a break {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Oh... and I did replace this flex outlet with a socket. There is a DP switch above, i'm not cutting moulded plugtops off a brand new dishwasher... Yes, dishwasher. There's still pipes to run BEHIND this cabinet.

Still not as bad as a plasterer once deciding to trim the cables that were coming out of the wall for wall lights in a pub! as in his words they were a bit long and preventing him from getting a good smooth finish... dopey ---- cut them back so just about reached the backbox... thankfully we had used conduit and could run new ones by pulling through.

Electrics aside, the cut on the top of that tongue/grooved effect MDF panel is bloody terrible, I've seen straighter winding country lanes

Plasterers cutting cables too short they can not be used are top level scum. When I was apprentice the boss used to tell us to take pictures, he provided a camera just for this kind of thing. He would then tell us to just chase it all back out again as messy as we could get away with then absolutely nail the tw@t for the costs. Even if they cut the labelled lighting cables short we would have a before and after pic and nail them.

I've got a backbox with a cables in somewhere on my landing, the plaster decided to fill in a plaster over it!!
Luckily I could access the cables feeding it to remove it from the RM.
Every now and then the missus forgets and tells me it would be handy to have a socket on the landing.

Plasterers can be right ----s. I get so fed up with them that I liven up cables where I can. They hate it but they are very very careful when they know it's live. If they hit a live cable it ruins their trowels. There is one plasterer who is terrible for mucking about with cables, I have been known to put wagos on the end and tell him they are live even when it's dead. He doesn't muck about with my cables.

i have had that sort of stuff from the plaster boarders. pulled cables in for about 10 circuits few rings, lights stuff like that all back to consumer unit and went home for the weekend as it was a Friday. came back on the Monday to find not only had he boarded and skimmed the wall but had also cut the cables to make them shorter as he said they was too long to get them through the hole in the board without damaging the board.

he had cut all the writing off the cables to identify the circuits and ends of each ring, he had also forgot to bring 2 of the circuits through the board, he was adement that they was the only cables there and all was through the hole.

Plasterers can be right ****s. I get so fed up with them that I liven up cables where I can. They hate it but they are very very careful when they know it's live. If they hit a live cable it ruins their trowels. There is one plasterer who is terrible for mucking about with cables, I have been known to put wagos on the end and tell him they are live even when it's dead. He doesn't muck about with my cables.
Tempting as it may be leaving unsafe cables when you know a plasterer will follow will likely land you in the dock should a spread get fried.
Don't try this on site kids.

Tempting as it may be leaving unsafe cables when you know a plasterer will follow will likely land you in the dock should a spread get fried.
Don't try this on site kids.
be one less to make a mess though.

First two weeks of my apprenticeship were spent chasing out 47mm boxes on a couple of £1.1m new builds. Dopy dry wall installers applied the dot and dabbed with 40, yep forty millimetres of adhesive. Loads of space for cables but trying to screw back the socket on to tabs so far away they were in a different time zone. Gotta empathise with a boss who paid two weeks wages for nothing even if it was useful experience for me.

Pete the plasterer is my sworn enemy. Willie wetpants, Kevin kitchen-fitter and Dave decorator are not too far behind in my death-list though.

How long does it take to run the edge of a trowel along the inside of a back-box to remove excess skim? All of 10 seconds at the most. So why do I continually find myself wasting precious time trimming hardened plaster skim from dozens of back-boxes all because some lazy b****** plasterer couldn't be bothered to tidy-up his own mess? What is wrong with these selfish, inconsiderate imbeciles? Is being incredibly stupid a trade requirement for a plasterer?

And what about the idiots who plaster round sockets and switches thus ensuring that the accessory becomes permanently bonded to the adjacent wall thus guaranteeing that the surrounding plaster-work will be damaged should the switch or socket need to be removed.

Then there are the f***wits who consider the cables you have left protruding from the ceiling to supply the rows of LED battens that you will be installing on your second-fix to be getting in the way and decide to just push them up into the ceiling void so they can skim the ceiling quicker. Screw the poor electrician who wasted his time crawling around inside a ceiling void installing the cables and measuring the ceiling so to determine exactly where holes need to be drilled so to maintain equidistance between fittings, and who will have even more of his time wasted having to do f***ing do it all over again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Reply to Other trades:- Give us sparkies a break in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock