Discuss Other trades:- Give us sparkies a break in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yep, I had plasterers decide that they would swap my cables around because the lengths were better that way. Never mind they were all labelled up and now we're incorrect. ****heads.

I've put a disagree on post 20 because you cant expect a spread to skim a ceiling to a high standard when there's bunches of cables hanging out every couple of feet. Where downlights are to be used all that is required is an accurate plan of installed wiring positions and the hole can be drilled and cables pulled through after skimming. That's what I do.
Try skimming a ceiling yourself with a forest of hanging cables and then see who's the f***wit.
Other than that bit I agree entirely with your post!

I've put a disagree on post 20 because you cant expect a spread to skim a ceiling to a high standard when there's bunches of cables hanging out every couple of feet. Where downlights are to be used all that is required is an accurate plan of installed wiring positions and the hole can be drilled and cables pulled through after skimming. That's what I do.
Try skimming a ceiling yourself with a forest of hanging cables and then see who's the f***wit.

On the basis you have drilled the downlights holes , why would you leave the cables dangling? That's asking for trouble imho

On the basis you have drilled the downlights holes , why would you leave the cables dangling? That's asking for trouble imho
I don't drill the downlight holes until after the ceiling is skimmed, it's also difficult to skim a ceiling full of holes, just as it is to skim around hanging cables. As long as an accurate plan of cable positions is made there's no problem and the plasterer can do his job.
I have done a fair bit of plastering, including ceilings, it's only when you have a go yourself you find out what other trades are up against. To skim a ceiling to a high standard you need a flat uninterrupted surface,not full of holes with cables everywhere, and the sparkies will be the first to slag off a poor finish.

Yeah but the post you disagree with is about batten fittings, not downlights lol

We had a job where the kitchen fitter drilled and screwed through three separate drops to fix his wall cupboards even though the cables were in newly plastered chases.

His reason was "that's the only place for my brackets "

Still not as bad as a plasterer once deciding to trim the cables that were coming out of the wall for wall lights in a pub! as in his words they were a bit long and preventing him from getting a good smooth finish... dopey **** cut them back so just about reached the backbox... thankfully we had used conduit and could run new ones by pulling through.
Had this very problem some years ago. The young electricians I had working for me came back from a site saying plasterers were cutting our cables short had told them they left them long enough a refurbishment job. My instructions were that they must inform the plasterers if they did that again they, on my order, would rip the cables right out of the walls so that they could route replacement ones that were long enough. A plumber friend once told me the problem really is that we more technically minded people have to work with those who only work with sticks and bricks and obviously there will be limitations on their part. To be fair though have usually found other trades more than helpful, if there is going to be an awkward bunch it usually is the plasterers. Loud bad language scarcely drowned out by very loud radios.

Yeah but the post you disagree with is about batten fittings, not downlights lol

Whether a cable hanging out of a ceiling is for a downlight or a batten it still gets in the way of skimming, while it may be more difficult to arrange for battens wiring to be out of the spreads way a little more understanding of the problems WE cause other trades is required....not just labelling them f***wits.
Some of them probably are, but there's plenty of electricians with no regard for other trades as well.

Whether a cable hanging out of a ceiling is for a downlight or a batten it still gets in the way of skimming, while it may be more difficult to arrange for battens wiring to be out of the spreads way a little more understanding of the problems WE cause other trades is required....not just labelling them f***wits.
Some of them probably are, but there's plenty of electricians with no regards for other trades as well.

Tempting as it may be leaving unsafe cables when you know a plasterer will follow will likely land you in the dock should a spread get fried.
Don't try this on site kids.

Connect up the neutral and earth only at the DB, and demonstrate the RCD flipping off a couple of times as you short them, when the 'other trades' are looking. a few times. No danger, but it gets the respect for your cables that you're looking for.

Reply to Other trades:- Give us sparkies a break in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net