Discuss MC cable from plastic box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pen421

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, The receptacle for our dishwasher is right behind the unit, which I don't think is allowed (I have read that the receptacle needs to be 'accessible'). I'm wondering if I can convert the current plastic box containing the receptacle into a junction box. My plan would be to use MC cable and a metal face-plate (with punch-out in middle) on the plastic box after removal of receptacle. Then I would run the MC cable to the adjacent cabinet space under the sink and relocate the receptacle into a (new) metal box (so making it 'accessible').
My thinking is that grounding of face-plate and cable sheathing will be taken care of through the grounding of the new metal box (via the ground screw and ground conductor within the MC cable). But I'd hate to fix one code error only to create another! Thanks a lot for any advice.

Ok then. Thanks for looking at it.
un the UK we would have the receptacle where yours is (as long as it will physically fit behind the machine) but feed it through an accessible 20A double pole switch, usually above the worktop , to isolate machine as and when required.

un the UK we would have the receptacle where yours is (as long as it will physically fit behind the machine) but feed it through an accessible 20A double pole switch, usually above the worktop , to isolate machine as and when required.
Thanks for your help. It fits behind the machine. The machine is on its own circuit and I can isolate it easily from the breaker box a few feet away, if needed. I have since found from local municipal code guys that I'm ok leaving it as is but that a gfci breaker on its circuit is a good idea.

Hi, The receptacle for our dishwasher is right behind the unit, which I don't think is allowed (I have read that the receptacle needs to be 'accessible'). I'm wondering if I can convert the current plastic box containing the receptacle into a junction box. My plan would be to use MC cable and a metal face-plate (with punch-out in middle) on the plastic box after removal of receptacle. Then I would run the MC cable to the adjacent cabinet space under the sink and relocate the receptacle into a (new) metal box (so making it 'accessible').
My thinking is that grounding of face-plate and cable sheathing will be taken care of through the grounding of the new metal box (via the ground screw and ground conductor within the MC cable). But I'd hate to fix one code error only to create another! Thanks a lot for any advice.
First off the cord on the dishwasher is supposed to be between 18 inches to 3 feet long. As far as relocating the receptacle is fine, but I don’t understand is why MC cable instead of romex is being used and why would you want to use metal boxes and cover. Use plastic and you don’t have all the grounding the metal parts

Reply to MC cable from plastic box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net