Discuss Outbuilding Flat Conversion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Round

Hi there,

I've searched the internet for a while now but haven't been able to find a similar scenario to my own.

I am currently converting an outbuilding into a self-contained flat which will be powered solely from electricity and will have no gas supply. The outbuilding is about 20/30m away from the current electricity supply to the house. I've had a friend run an amp test and with all appliances turned on it's hitting 60 amps.

Therefore, I'm looking for suggestions on what is the best way to go about this. My thoughts are that I can't connect to the main households supply. Is it possible to get a new supply for the outbuilding? (It won't have its own address). And if so, how do I go about this?

Thanks in advance

Hello R,
I think you should try for a separate new service if you can. It's unlikely the current service to the house will be able to support that level of extra load, but that could be looked into. For example if you already have a 40A shower in the house and are going to put another in the flat, then you are bust, I reckon. Anyway, you might like check out this info from UK Power Networks on setting up a new service to a new dwelling. Cheers, David.
http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...t-your-property-permanent/connections-single/

Hello R,
I think you should try for a separate new service if you can. It's unlikely the current service to the house will be able to support that level of extra load, but that could be looked into. For example if you already have a 40A shower in the house and are going to put another in the flat, then you are bust, I reckon. Anyway, you might like check out this info from UK Power Networks on setting up a new service to a new dwelling. Cheers, David.
http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...t-your-property-permanent/connections-single/

Hi David,
Thanks for the help. That's what I thought about the current supply and I'd much prefer them to be separate anyway. I was originally informed that to get a new supply that I would need a new address hence I couldn't have two supplies to the one address? I presume this is incorrect?

Also, would I have to apply through UK Power Networks or could I possibly apply through a supplier such as British Gas? I've found the following link which 'suggests' that they could but I'm not sure if it's applicable to my circumstances?
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/produc...icity/new-connections.html?bglink_id=imm10006

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi - I haven't done it myself , but I don't think there is legal or regulatory prohibition to having 2 supplies and 2 meters at one domestic postal address. The supply folks will need to be able to differentiate the 2 supplies, so it might be that you name the flat. On a town planning note, the local council will likely take an interest (after a neighbour complains - someone always seems to ...) so if you haven't already I would seek their approval for your flat. They will be concerned you are sub dividing the property and it's better if you take this discussion with the planners upfront. Just a thought. All the best, D.

Thanks for that. As far as planning goes we do have permission already, however, they rejected it originally as they didn't want us to have a kitchen in there and therefore still have some reliance on the main dwelling. All been accepted now though.

I'll make a few calls today and hopefully it can all go ahead :smile:

I've come across properties win separate supplies - multiple.

Presumably part of the cost consideration so far as the DNO are concerned will be will be whether the local transformer can cope with the additional loading. If it can't and the transformer has to be upgraded it could be expensive. I've had customers pay anything from £5k to £15k

Reply to Outbuilding Flat Conversion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock