Discuss Outdoor Stair LED lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I will be re-fitting 10x (Mains voltage) Mini LED stair lights. The existing LED's have drivers and are all wired back to (what should be) an IP65 rated enclosure which is fed from a switch at the front door via a 1.5mm 3 core SWA cable, glanded off through the enclosure into a Switched spur with a 5a fuse.
Question: Do I need to fuse the supply to these LED's or can I do away with the Switched spur??

Any chance of pics or a diagram, slightly struggling to visualise - is the switched spur outside at the end of the SWA or at the front door feeding the SWA? If outside, what protection is at the source of the SWA? You'll need appropriate fusing somewhere, but it may be that you already have it and the spur is surplus.

The manufacturers instructions for the LEDs may specify what fuse is needed. If not the size of the wiring from the enclosure to the stair lights may be the deciding factor.

Any chance of pics or a diagram, slightly struggling to visualise - is the switched spur outside at the end of the SWA or at the front door feeding the SWA? If outside, what protection is at the source of the SWA? You'll need appropriate fusing somewhere, but it may be that you already have it and the spur is surplus.

The manufacturers instructions for the LEDs may specify what fuse is needed. If not the size of the wiring from the enclosure to the stair lights may be the deciding factor.
Thanks for your comments. All I needed to confirm is that I will need to provide some fuse protection, ideally at the source of the supply ie. where the cable leaves the house out towards the stairlights.

Reply to Outdoor Stair LED lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I replaced an outdoor electrical socket recently with a 2 gang, BG socket which has LED lights to show when it is switched on. Since then I...
Replies
Views
Wanting to add 2 strips of led lights down each side of underneath of the stairs, I have a socket I can spur off, into a fused switch, been...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advise on the installation of an outside light. I plan on chasing out the plasterboard and running a cable from a...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon everyone. I have fitted an extractor fan in my bathroom with an overrun timer, to start when the bathroom led lights are turned on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I have some industrial lighting circuits to wire in a workshop and was after some fresh ideas/suggestions as to how i could best do this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock