Discuss OVEN AND COMBI MICROWAVE WIRING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently rewiring my house. I am installing a new oven - 3.65kW and combi microwave - 3.6kW protected by a 16A mcb.

Would a 2.5mm for each appliance from the cu to a 20A DP switch surffice over a 20m run?

Thanks

Currently rewiring my house. I am installing a new oven - 3.65kW and combi microwave - 3.6kW protected by a 16A mcb.

Would a 2.5mm for each appliance from the cu to a 20A DP switch surffice over a 20m run?
Is this circuit been calculated. Plus new circuit local building control needs notification.

Hi All,

Thanks
put it on a 32A with 6.0mm cable. that will also future proof it if ever you eant a bigger appliance.

16A looks a bit tight to me. What is the size of the cable from the CU to the DP switch?
thiking 2.5 from cu to dp. 16A is in the manufacture instructions 2.5mm should be sufficient enough just want to make sure! :)
[automerge]1600156710[/automerge]
put it on a 32A with 6.0mm cable. that will also future proof it if ever you eant a bigger appliance.
was thinking this however most new ovens have a max load of 3.6kW so should be alright to keep it as 2.5mm, 6mm would be overkill, just need someone elses opition.

thiking 2.5 from cu to dp. 16A is in the manufacture instructions 2.5mm should be sufficient enough just want to make sure! :)
[automerge]1600156710[/automerge]

was thinking this however most new ovens have a max load of 3.6kW so should be alright to keep it as 2.5mm, 6mm would be overkill, just need someone elses opition.
That 16A / 2.5mm is for just one oven/microwave!!!
You want two on the same circuit.
You either need two separate 16A circuits or, as above a 6 or 4mm circuit with 32A MCB.

Have you done any calculations?
Or are you looking for a simple yeah, that should be ok.
I have done the calcs - 16A breaker is acceptacble and thats what the manufacture says.

2.5mm cable is capable for the load too but just want to make sure as I have never run a 2.5mm for oven or combi. I guess with these new appliances they are trying to make them more efficent etc..

I have an existing 6mm installed so will utilise that for one of the runs but for the new one want to make sure 2.5mm will be fine. I am not bothered about futureproofing as it is my own house and is the most up to date model of appliance.
[automerge]1600161035[/automerge]
That 16A / 2.5mm is for just one oven/microwave!!!
You want two on the same circuit.
You either need two separate 16A circuits or, as above a 6 or 4mm circuit with 32A MCB.
i will be running 2 seperate circuits for each appliance

Ah. That’s clearer.
So, new 16A circuit. RCD protected?
What will you do about notification to LABC?

but, you already Have the 6mm circuit. you can run both appliances from that, no new circuit needed!

Ah. That’s clearer.
So, new 16A circuit. RCD protected?
What will you do about notification to LABC?

but, you already Have the 6mm circuit. you can run both appliances from that, no new circuit needed!
i could run them both off 6mm but want to have them on separate circuits and isolate them individually from the grid switch/CU. And nothing as its my own house.

And nothing as its my own house.
That doesn't matter. New circuits have to be notified.
If you are doing it yourself, you'll need to raise a building notice BEFORE WORK STARTS and pay the LABC fee. And be prepared to certify the new circuit using all that calibrated test equipment you have to hand.

But maybe i'm wasting my time advising you the correct way to do things?

use the existing 6.0mm to a 45A cooker switch, then split off with 2 x 2.5mm radials, each on a 20A D/P switch.

Reply to OVEN AND COMBI MICROWAVE WIRING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock