Discuss overheard conversation re 3phase working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
3 people were discussing scheme membership and insurance and it sounded like eiher 'domestic installers,' or their insurance, does not cover work on 3 phase installations.
Some 6 months ago I was informed that all WPD supplies to new properties are to be 3 phase and this is now what is being planned for (presumeably because of the fact that gas is no longer going to be supplied to new estates + car charging etc).
Is this going to restrict who can work on new builds or are bodies such as the niciec going to have to allow their short course members to be let loose on pretty much anything?

a lot of insurers don't cover for 3 phase on PL policies, or they will charge extra premium. same with tools cover. most are happy to charge for tools cover, but when you read the small print, they are not covered on van between 9pm and 6am. i made sure my policy covered both aforementioned scenarios. just for info, i'm with insurance octopus and they were by far the best price for the cover provided.

Just because DNO are installing 3ph supplies doesn't mean all houses will be connected as 3 ph.
It will be WPD future proofing their own network, a lot of which is well over 70 years old.
And of course the Customer / Developer will have to pay the extra for the cable and cut-out.

And I'm sure all the Bodies could come up with a 3ph training / assessment course if their was anything to be gained from it.

if the niceic have anything to do with that, you'll need to go on a course , 3 days, entailing 3 tutors. red tutor/yellow tutor/blue tutor.
oh bugger. they all leopard changed spots, brown,black and summat else. all grey little men in suits. say bye-bye to another few hundred squids..

There will be a 3 phase head, but I don't think there will be 3 phase meters going in.
Domestic installers will still be only working on single phase installations, as domestic equipment is still only 230v design voltage.

It would be too much to change something like that considering a lot of members of the public still insist on doing their own electrical work. Can't expect them to realise theres 400v present.

Can you link where this info comes from? re no gas supplies... it could be interesting reading

What’s so special about 3 phase? It’s still just just low voltage and already in loads of domestic installations
There is 3 Phase and real 3 Phase with switchgear hydraulic/non hydraulic etc etc the size of a small house.

There will be a 3 phase head, but I don't think there will be 3 phase meters going in.
Domestic installers will still be only working on single phase installations, as domestic equipment is still only 230v design voltage.

It would be too much to change something like that considering a lot of members of the public still insist on doing their own electrical work. Can't expect them to realise theres 400v present.

Can you link where this info comes from? re no gas supplies... it could be interesting reading

Loads of houses already have 3 phase supply/meters/DB.
In large houses where the electrical demand is more than 80/100A the only real option is 3 phase to split the load.

With the idea of 2+ electric cars being plugged into the supply at 5PM, then the electrical demand is going to go up, and possibly 3 phase car chargers could become the norm?

I find it hard to believe someone can call themselves an electrician, and not be competent with a basic 3 phase supply and board.....

Just because DNO are installing 3ph supplies doesn't mean all houses will be connected as 3 ph.
It will be WPD future proofing their own network, a lot of which is well over 70 years old.
And of course the Customer / Developer will have to pay the extra for the cable and cut-out.

And I'm sure all the Bodies could come up with a 3ph training / assessment course if their was anything to be gained from it.
WHAT MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Any electrician, Electrical Trainee or not will understand the 230 line to neutral and 400 phase to phase....The general public may not understand, and it is a big change if it comes around for the majority of domestic installations.

So gas boilers and jobs are on the way out?
Should I cut my gas off now and go all electric?

[QUOTE="littlespark,

So gas boilers and jobs are on the way out?
Should I cut my gas off now and go all electric?[/QUOTE]
The amount of wood burning stoves going in around here I think they may have a bit of competition. There is rumours that COAL is being burnt on some of them. Remember that? :)

Loads of houses already have 3 phase supply/meters/DB.
In large houses where the electrical demand is more than 80/100A the only real option is 3 phase to split the load.

With the idea of 2+ electric cars being plugged into the supply at 5PM, then the electrical demand is going to go up, and possibly 3 phase car chargers could become the norm?

I find it hard to believe someone can call themselves an electrician, and not be competent with a basic 3 phase supply and board.....
I think that technology will be that using GPS etc the charging point will be turned on during dips/off-peak in a geographical area so a steady area load on the network is maintained.

a lot of insurers don't cover for 3 phase on PL policies, or they will charge extra premium. same with tools cover. most are happy to charge for tools cover, but when you read the small print, they are not covered on van between 9pm and 6am. i made sure my policy covered both aforementioned scenarios. just for info, i'm with insurance octopus and they were by far the best price for the cover provided.
Also Tel you only get the value of the tools at the time they were stolen.

So what special ticket does one need,to purchase 400v between phases stickers? :)

....Oh,and don't forget,the big plan of having this network of charging vehicles,being digitally brought in to use,as a giant back-up,for the grid...

Can hardly wait for all those calls to employers...."I won't be in to work,today,because Amazon's servers needed help,last night,and me cars flat..." :rolleyes:

So what special ticket does one need,to purchase 400v between phases stickers? :)

....Oh,and don't forget,the big plan of having this network of charging vehicles,being digitally brought in to use,as a giant back-up,for the grid...

Can hardly wait for all those calls to employers...."I won't be in to work,today,because Amazon's servers needed help,last night,and me cars flat..." :rolleyes:

Reply to overheard conversation re 3phase working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock