Discuss Ownership of cable between meter & second cut-out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been asked to look at a flat (letting agency) where the supplier has refused to install a smart meter due to issues with the cable from the meter to the installation. The cable looks very poorly secured, there is exposed N with the covering tape used loose plus it is a little over 3m (probably about 4m, due to over-generous loops at each end).

A photo is attached of the cut-out/meter.

Cut-out & meter.jpg

The outgoing cable feeds a secondary cut-out in the flat above (first floor), where there is a similar cut-out, fitted with a red dummy (link) fuse holder (sorry, don't have a photo of this).

Then usual 25mm2 tails into adjacent consumer unit.

Who owns this cable between the two cut-outs?

The supplier seems to think this is the responsibility of the owner (landlord).

A BNO installation as its flats?

Each flat has its own incoming supply and meter. The ground floor ones would have normal tails into the Cu, the upstairs ones the circa 4m cable to the upstairs cut-out, then tails. I don't think these are likely to be part of any BNO installation, there is no "operation" of any in-building supply.

Thanks for the replies.

The supplier has requested a switch fuse be installed, in this cupboard under the stairs to 2 upstairs flats. The cupboard is brick / block construction with an external wooden door (the stairs are external in brick/block/paving), and external to the main body of the building.

Does this switch fuse have to be a metal housing (Amd 3), or can plastic still be used? I'd say the cupboard is sort of fireproof apart from the external door.

Without making comment about the cupboard housing a 'new' switch fuse, would it not be just as simple to install an A3 one, Wylex have produced one. Or are you wishing to make comment on it on your EICR?

If that is the case, what about the second cut-out in the flat, with the red dummy fuse, who owns that?

I suppose,to be pedantic,the second cut-out,is not a cut-out at all,merely a means of connection.

In situations such as this,it is more prescient to find who is "responsible",rather than who has ownership,are there any covenants,rights or statemented leasehold duties,regarding the electrical installation?

Without making comment about the cupboard housing a 'new' switch fuse, would it not be just as simple to install an A3 one, Wylex have produced one. Or are you wishing to make comment on it on your EICR?

Sorry for the late reply, other things to worry about today. I agree it is probably simpler to insist on an A3 one, just that the Wylex one seems to be more than 3x the price of the usual plastic one I've used in the past.

I suppose,to be pedantic,the second cut-out,is not a cut-out at all,merely a means of connection.

I guess so, even though it (and the interconnecting cable) looks like it was installed by the DNO at the same time as the main cut-out (they are identical parts, apart from the dummy fuse).

I'm not aware of any covenants etc.; the landlord will get the chance to say if he/she is aware of anything (though I doubt they will know).

Reply to Ownership of cable between meter & second cut-out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net