Discuss Partial testing and R1+R2......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So when doing partial testing, when doing ring circuits i have a query.

Do end to end prove each conductor is a ring. In the area on the test sheet it says r1+r2 OR r2. Is it ok to do end to end and fill in the cpc end to end reading (r2) into this box and do zs of every socket to not only get a zs reading but also prove continuity as the tester alerts to mixed polarity.

youse confused r1, r2,rN are end to end. R1+R2 or R2 are different.e.g. R2 will be using a wander lead to each point, recording the highest. for a ring generally, R1+R2 = (r1+r2/4)

Why would you only do partial testing? If the circuit is locked off then I would do the full lot of dead tests.

Measuring CPC end to end and dividing by four will not confirm earthing connection at each point or polarity.

Why would you only do partial testing? If the circuit is locked off then I would do the full lot of dead tests.

Measuring CPC end to end and dividing by four will not confirm earthing connection at each point or polarity.
Partial testing would not be acceptable for initial verification, but is acceptable on an EICR. For example if a measured Zs reading is comparable to the measured Zs recorded on the original EIC then it would be reasonable to assume the R1+R2 will also be comparable, and so not carry out that test.
So that's why you might only do partial testing.

Partial testing would not be acceptable for initial verification, but is acceptable on an EICR. For example if a measured Zs reading is comparable to the measured Zs recorded on the original EIC then it would be reasonable to assume the R1+R2 will also be comparable, and so not carry out that test.
So that's why you might only do partial testing.
I agree but on a ring final how would you confirm polarity at each point and identify any crossovers without fully dead testing?

My company is a social landlord. We do partial testing if we have existing certificates of an installation.

I confirm polarity of each socket on a ring by doing a zs reading at each socket. Any polarity issues my tester wouldnt start the reading and beep at me the issue. So by doing end to end then zs at each point i confirm its a complete ring amd each point is correct polarity wise

Obviously full testing is better on a RFC but if you really must do partial testing on a RFC I would obtain the R1+R2 by doing the end to ends, adding them together then dividing by four, as said above. Just an R2 value on a RFC doesn't quite seem right.

I dont just do an r2 reading. I do end to end to confirm the ring then do zs at each one
Stupidly i was thinking that where it says r1 r2 or r2 i could jusy put the cpc end to end in...but after i posted i realised this result was the r2 from say using the wandering lead.

In regards to the IR i do if i need to do a full test or the circuits are not on the rcd side.

I agree but on a ring final how would you confirm polarity at each point and identify any crossovers without fully dead testing?
As above Zs testing will confirm polarity. Full dead testing on a RFC is very time consuming and disruptive if the layout of the circuit is unknown. R1+R2 readings will be skewed by spurs, and identifying spurs from spurs will involve considerable dismantling.....I use my judgement to decide whether a RFC has issues that need further investigating or commenting on after end to end, IR and Zs tests.
None of the above applies to initial verification in which the layout of the RFC should be known and full testing must be carried out.

[QUOTE="magnoliafan89, post: 1506944, member: 98919
In regards to the IR i do if i need to do a full test or the circuits are not on the rcd side.[/QUOTE]

No IR testing at all on any RCD protected circuits?

[QUOTE="magnoliafan89, post: 1506944, member: 98919
In regards to the IR i do if i need to do a full test or the circuits are not on the rcd side.

No IR testing at all on any RCD protected circuits?[/QUOTE]
No unless the tenant has commented on tripping

No. I do 4 eicr a day. I do 10% of the installation so i do ze pfc check bonds do rcd time and pick 2 circuits to test i always pick one socket circuit and maybe another or a shower or light whatever i can do in the time i have.

Like i said if a circuit or circuits dont have rcd protection i will do IR. The majority of our properties have been rr wired in the last 20 years. None our wired before 85. Theres always a full test done within the last 10 years so if there was any deteroiation im sure it would be quite apparent.

Reply to Partial testing and R1+R2......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock