Discuss PAT Testing - Pub in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

if you are competent to do it, do it. that's all, folks.

Yeah you need to know what you're doing. The qualifications you listed don't teach you how to do PAT testing, whereas the 2377 does. It's not rocket science and you don't need it by law, but it can be used to prove competence.

Do I need the PAT Testing qual to do appliance testings in pub?

Got 17th
2330 1&2

What's the law state?

Your more than qualified to undertake PAT testing. If you have never done it before, read the Pat testers instructions, you'll soon see and recognise whats going on.

The so-called qualification is basically an insult to all qualified electricians. It was brought about by commercial companies wanting existing non electrical staff, doing the companies PAT testing requirements. Unfortunately once there was a C&G Pat qualification, the local authorities, private companies, and other organizations who know no better, insisted that you need this numbty qualification to be competent. Not only competent, but this short numbty course is rated level #3 !!!!!!

It has to be one of the C&G's biggest money spinners of all time!!!

yeah, i did it some years ago, just because the firm requiring the pat testing wanted it. half a day to do it, followed by a short exam.

The IEE released a book with regards to PAT testing, check it out if you're worried.

-Code of Practice for In-services Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment- ISBN: 0-85296-776-4

It is quite useful if you've never done any PAT testing as it guides on the duration between tests on different types of equipment, ie: hand held, portable, stationary eqipment (time between tests), where the equipment is to be used, different IR tests for sensitive equipment etc.

There's also model forms for certification etc.

I was in this boat where I was losing work because landlords wanted some jobs done plus PAT testing or nothing plus it does not help with the urban myth going around from PAT testers who tell the letting agent you cannot do PAT unless you are qualified ie C&G2377 or a Schemie /training company certificate. The Letting Agents just kept asking how much do you charge and are you a "qualified" PAT tester and no ammount of explaining that I did not need it as I was a qualified electrician but no so I had to go along with the Urban Myth and go to night school for 6 weeks and must admit it was helpful but it added £200 on to my PAT tooling up bill of £600. Now I tell landlords and letting agents remember when you have to start testing fixed appliances the PAT tester is not qualified and he never will be.

I was in this boat where I was losing work because landlords wanted some jobs done plus PAT testing or nothing plus it does not help with the urban myth going around from PAT testers who tell the letting agent you cannot do PAT unless you are qualified ie C&G2377 or a Schemie /training company certificate. The Letting Agents just kept asking how much do you charge and are you a "qualified" PAT tester and no ammount of explaining that I did not need it as I was a qualified electrician but no so I had to go along with the Urban Myth and go to night school for 6 weeks and must admit it was helpful but it added £200 on to my PAT tooling up bill of £600. Now I tell landlords and letting agents remember when you have to start testing fixed appliances the PAT tester is not qualified and he never will be.

LOL know the feeling. Got 30 out of 30 in that "exam" without much effort.

I've pat tested more pubs than I care to remember in the days where I used to do periodics on them for a previous company, must have done 5000+ and I don't have a PAT qualification, just a mere electrician :)

The IEE released a book with regards to PAT testing, check it out if you're worried.

-Code of Practice for In-services Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment- ISBN: 0-85296-776-4

It is quite useful if you've never done any PAT testing as it guides on the duration between tests on different types of equipment, ie: hand held, portable, stationary eqipment (time between tests), where the equipment is to be used, different IR tests for sensitive equipment etc.

There's also model forms for certification etc.
one of the worst leccy books i ever read....badly laid out, patronising and vague in places n all.....

Reply to PAT Testing - Pub in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock