Discuss Pat Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparky92

I'm thinking of setting up a PAT Testing business and I was wondering if i need the city and guilds PAT Testing qualification, as I'm near the end of completing my electrical apprenticeship?

Also can any of you give me your reviews on the Seaward Europa Plus pat tester?

I would venture to suggest that making a decent living off PAT testing alone, would be very difficult, and incredibly tedious.

Here here. I used to do PAT testing as a loss leader to get me into rental properties through estate agents but it was such a PITA that I have dropped it.
If you still want to do it I do suggest that you do the one day course. If nothing else it will set in your mind what actually counts as "portable". You'll also get a copy of the Code of Practice. This has recently been amended and extends the testing intervals on some equipment meaning even less £££ for you.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.pdf

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply. I will look in to the course. How much could I charge per an item? As there are company's out there charging 65p an item??

Cheers for the reply. I will look in to the course. How much could I charge per an item? As there are company's out there charging 65p an item??

65p an item will not provide you with a living IF you do the testing properly and in accordance with best practice.

I do some PAT testing, and I charge £2.50 per item for the first 49 items, minimum charge £50.00

Yeah I was thinking the £2 to £3 mark, do you charge extra for fuse and plug changes? What pat tester do you use and any suggestions on what's the best downloadable tester?

Its the most tedious - non rewarding job going in the electrical trade... to answer your query you require to be competent to undertake PAT testing but now it includes various fixed equipment so safe working and isolation practices needed too.... here lies the problem, without a recognised qualification like the C & G 2377 then if anything went wrong e.g. someone is killed or injured on an item you recently tested and you are brought to court to fight your case then without the 2377 you could have a very expensive but weak defense and you may be easy prey for them.
Ive done PAT testing over the years and doing a few days of it is mundane, repetative and soul destroying, its nice having the enthusiam but test the water before swimming in it first.

Yep I would not do it but was losing jobs through it so I tooled up and I am on course for it paying back the investment of £800 in the first year so will I make my fortune on it NO as I have said before I took it on as a loss leader yes it boring yes there is no money in it but it gets me more work as I am asked for a PAT test EICR, and to put some new lights up so if I did not have it then no EICR or lights. Plus I do about 8-12 items once a fortnight so cannot complain but would defo not do it full time.

PS this post should have been posted in the PAT section plus please do not use bold type face as it looks naff and wont get you anymore attention

Ok sorry about the bold text and i never knew there was a pat testing section.

With the city and guilds qualification, do you need both qualifications the 2377-12 and the 2377-11?? Or can you get away with just the one?

No probs Dont know about qualifications as as got my 2377 before it broke in two and even then I should not have but the PAT industry is such a mess with urban Myths ie nobody can PAT test unless they have a qualification.

Anyway as far as I am concerned PAT is ok to top up my business but I will never depend on it to give me a living

As others Id recommend you dont do this...I hate it, the worst part of my job, luckily I dont do it often, it's very boring and repetitive and doesnt test your skill...

You'll struggle to make a living out of it especially charging £2-3 an item when clients can get it done for 85p an item...

National firms have contracts with national pat testing companies to drive prices cheaper...so no big work...

Which is why I dont do it as often as I used to when I started as an apprentice as the companies I work for have national contracts.

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI.

Ok sorry about the bold text and i never knew there was a pat testing section.

With the city and guilds qualification, do you need both qualifications the 2377-12 and the 2377-11?? Or can you get away with just the one?
local authorotys and hospitles/schools n all that lot may require you to be 2377 11......but why would you need the 2377 12?....thats the `pat management` course....and isn`t much different from the 2377 11.....in any case their both the easiest exams i ever did.....you could teach it to a sloth and it`d pass.......you dont NEED these quals to pat test...its all about competency......besides these 2 exams claim to be level three......dont make me laugh....they`v never seen level three...lol....

I started a PAT testing business 5 years ago by chance with a national charity chain and had weekly contracts to carry out the testing. This was very tedious but got me started and I ended up selling the business 3 and a half years later. it can be done but you have to get into the right places. Schools have it done for about 60p when i finished up 2 years ago so its a tough market as non-electricians can train up and makes the competition harder.
hope this helps

Thank you. How do you go about getting he work in schools and uni's? Plus do you need to get CRB checked and how do you go about doing it if your self employed??

You will need an Enhanced CRB Check cost about £30-£40. Schools look for PAT Testers in local area. so dropping business cards or phoning the bursers is a good start. Uni's use tenders for their work cos of the amount of items and value of the contracts. I have received an email from a company that is looking for any trades person to register as they have schools signed up to them who will post work if that is of an interest i can forward it to you?

local authorotys and hospitles/schools n all that lot may require you to be 2377 11......but why would you need the 2377 12?....thats the `pat management` course....and isn`t much different from the 2377 11

Wrong way around: 2377-12 is inspection and testing and 2377-11 is management.

I can give you any advice about it if you need just ask me. Hope it works out for you. only C and G is recognised Nationally

Reply to Pat Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock