Discuss PATesting a kettle: Please advise in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This kettle is a Breville model VKJ367. This is one of these fancy kettles for hot drinks. Instead of tipping it & pouring out, it dribbles through a spout & you must place your cup underneath. It looks very handsome & passes a formal inspection. But it has several pieces of metal trim and some are earthed & some are not. Can I accept it? Is one allowed to say that the non-earthed trims are double-insulated (provided the meter says so)? Thank you for any advice.

If the metal trim is mounted on plastic, then it’s “double insulated” from where the electrics are.

A double insulated metal light fitting has a plastic box to hold the connections. Same idea

The logical approach is “can this metal part ever possibly become live if a cable drops out or becomes damaged and touches anything?…. Or will it be contained within an insulated enclosure”

Simple answer is to look at the label?! Does it have the symbol for double insulation or not?

Simple answer is to look at the label?! Does it have the symbol for double insulation or not?
I doubt that it has the label, as some parts passed the continuity test.
I think the only way to be 100% sure about which parts are double insulated and which are not is to ask the manufacturer.

As above - it cannot be class II because the OP has stated some parts have a connection to earth. Of the device has an earth then it is not class II.

Some common sense may be needed. You can't expect every small piece of metallic trim to be tied to earth.

Reply to PATesting a kettle: Please advise in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net