Discuss phase rotation incorrect at origin of install . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

me2

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
What are your views on phase rotation.
Whilst doing an eicr for a customer's premises I found that the phase rotation at the origin was anti clockwise .
the eicr form is asking for verification of phase sequences , which there is although anticlockwise .
What would you do there in the real world?
Would you :
1. tick it ( there is a sequence of phases verified )
2. cross it
3 . not verified

thanks in advance for your views

Hi all,
Whilst doing an eicr for a customer's premises I found that the phase rotation at the origin was anti clockwise .
the eicr form is asking for verification of phase sequences , which there is although anticlockwise .
Would you :
2. cross it
3 . not verified

You mean Phase Sequence, not Rotation don't you?

yes sequence, but I tested it with my trusted phase rotation unit and found the sequence at origin to be anticlockwise . Now I do not know if DNO is required to provide a clockwise phase sequence or not .

Hi all,
Would you :
2. cross it
3 . not verified

Phase rotation and phase sequence are two different things.
You are looking at the sequence for the EICR, not necessarily the rotation.

Phase rotation is either clockwise or anticlockwise.

Phase sequence is checking that L1 at the intake connects to every L1 terminal in the installation, L2 at the intake connects to every L2 terminal in the installation and L3 connects to every L3 terminal in the installation.

So despite the rotation being wrong the phase sequence can still be correct as long as the conductors dot get swapped around anywhere.
[automerge]1588261477[/automerge]
yes sequence, but I tested it with my trusted phase rotation unit and found the sequence at origin to be anticlockwise . Now I do not know if DNO is required to provide a clockwise phase sequence or not .

You cannot check phase sequence with a phase rotation tester.

Phase sequence is not a property of the origin, it is something checked throughout the whole installation.

DNO meters are only in calibration if the rotation is correct. If the rotation is incorrect there is probably crossed tails between the meter and main switch.
Also be careful saying clockwise and anti clockwise. Traditional British phase rotation meters went anti clockwise for standard rotation while modern meters go clockwise for standard location.

IMO complete your report,advise the customer to contact their energy supplier, to address the phase rotation issue.
thanks dave ,I will do but the only potential problem that I see with that is that the customer will inccur more down time for his premises and the rotation of all the 3 phases motor will need to be reversed .

thanks dave ,I will do but the only potential problem that I see with that is that the customer will inccur more down time for his premises and the rotation of all the 3 phases motor will need to be reversed .
Understand the inconvenience of the down time, however the phase rotation can be reversed at the meter, L2L2 L3L3 swapped as complete pairs. No reversing is needed on the installation side.

Can you trace the tails between the meter and the incoming side of the isolator.
yes right next to it, why?
[automerge]1588271646[/automerge]
Understand the inconvenience of the down time, however the phase rotation can be reversed at the meter, L2L2 L3L3 swapped as complete pairs. No reversing is needed on the installation side.
hi dave , I am not sure i follow what you mean here. surely if anything is reversed upstream (so to speak) the end appliances that rely on phase rotations for their direction (3 phases motors in this case) will be running in the opposite direction . Unless i am missing something obvious .

Last edited:
[automerge]1588271646[/automerge]

hi dave , I am not sure i follow what you mean here. surely if anything is reversed upstream (so to speak) the end appliances that rely on phase rotations for their direction (3 phases motors in this case) will be running in the opposite direction . Unless i am missing something obvious .
I cant explain the science, Marconi a member on here (the professor) is the man.
So im not even going to attempt.

Because as I already said the meter is usually installed with standard rotation otherwise it is not within its certification. You are saying the rotation at the isolator is wrong. If the tails are straight then it is a DNO issue, if the tails are crossed then it is a customers issue. Albeit that they would need to pay the DNO to swap them.
Having non standard rotation in an installation is not a panic situation as long as every one electrical is aware of it.

Have you checked the phase sequence? Is it consistent throughout the installation?

If all the motors are running the right way then either they have all had rotation corrected, it has been corrected elsewhere or there is a mistake in your testing
[automerge]1588273554[/automerge]

That won't change the phase rotation problem that the OP thinks they have. It will only change the rotation at the meter.

Reply to phase rotation incorrect at origin of install . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock