Discuss Pipe and cable detector in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

diyterry

Trying to make sense of a confusing world
Evening all, what do you good people use to detect hidden cables and pipes in walls my Bosch scanner is unreliable and triggers if there are no cables present.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
I find a drill is the most efficient way.

Paignton pete

Regular EF Member
Basically get me over and anywhere I tend to drill you can virtually guarantee a gas pipe.

To date I've gone through 8or 9. Maybe more, I've lost count.

OP
diyterry

diyterry

Trying to make sense of a confusing world
Basically get me over and anywhere I tend to drill you can virtually guarantee a gas pipe.

To date I've gone through 8or 9. Maybe more, I've lost count.
I'am a bit nervous after hitting a power cable five years ago I must admit.

PEG

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Me pal tested the PFC on a supply cable,using an axe....wasn't even calibrated :)

Ended up with a bill off Northwest Electric,an axe like a pickle-fork and a sun tan (when viewed from underneath)

BruvDunk

Electrician/ Maint/ EC&I/Safety Controller
Look down to your feet and see if there’s any sockets down there. As for gas pipes a general look around as to where the incomer and services are is normally a good start.

Been lucky so far.

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
I'm afraid the simple detectors are a bit, well, simple. I bought one a while back and tried to find metal capping in about 10mm of plaster with live cables chased in behind it... Maybe the expensive ones are better (?).

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
As Wilko said. I had the Bosch green one. Has a 1 in 10 chance of locating a pipe/cable, or it indicates after turning it on when somewhere near or close to a surface.

Perhaps the more expensive ones are better :confused:

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
I have used a lot of mental detectors ,and still you has well take a chance with a sledge hammer.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i have a bosch one. it's pretty fair accurate, tends to err on the side of caution. once found a metal washer that had been plastered in about 70 years ago.

PEG

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i have a bosch one. it's pretty fair accurate, tends to err on the side of caution. once found a metal washer that had been plastered in about 70 years ago.
Go on,you dug that out,coz you thought it was a coin...;)

mickfred

Regular EF Member
Have a Bosch one , and has been said not a lot of use ,cant trust it. Have a couple of powerful magnets for finding studs

Automation ATO

Active EF Member
Cable construction, directly buried cable when the best and joint. The joint is protective, but it's not strong. The joint of conduit cable is chosen commonly in the position is better, do not have how much water, good secure and convenient the pipeline that look inside. Aerial cable joints are generally selected in the vicinity of the poles, so that it is convenient to view later, maintenance. And fixed.
Evening all, what do you good people use to detect hidden cables and pipes in walls my Bosch scanner is unreliable and triggers if there are no cables present.
:smile::smile:

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Cable construction, directly buried cable when the best and joint. The joint is protective, but it's not strong. The joint of conduit cable is chosen commonly in the position is better, do not have how much water, good secure and convenient the pipeline that look inside. Aerial cable joints are generally selected in the vicinity of the poles, so that it is convenient to view later, maintenance. And fixed.

:smile::smile:
:laughing::laughing::laughing: One more than you, thought it was worth it

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • Black

Votes: 30 33.3%

Electrician Talk