Discuss PIR sensors and bulkhead lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

bobchiba

DIY
Reaction score
In my apartment block, our hallway has a mix of LED bulkhead lights (all same brand, 5 of them) some incandescent ones (x4). They are on a circuit with about 4 PIR sensors that span the length of the hallway (they all work, I hear the relays click in each one). When the timer goes, all but 2 of the lights go off. The 2 that never switch off are LED units. The estate manager says that their contractor reckons the PIR units aren't compatible with LEDs but they have no issue turning on/off the other LED ones, its just these 2 that will never go off. I opened and visually compared 2 identical LED units (one of which is not turning off) and they were both wired the same (of note, contrary to what I'd expect, they both were wired for standard +/- instead of switched +/-).

I know there are issues of PIR units and LED bulbs I've read of, but those seem to be for domestic single garage lights etc. Could there be an issue with max current on the circuit with the PIRs or something like that? Perhaps the two units that never go out see no power are permanently running on their battery +/- feeds (but then do the batteries have dedicated +/-)? I'm out of ideas and want to know if their contractor is accurate or not before they go replace every single PIR.

Reply to PIR sensors and bulkhead lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
Hi :) I'm currently renovating my outbuilding. My electrician has fitted 10 conduit LEDs (that support both leading and trailing edge) and x4...
Replies
Views
I needed to illuminate our dark side walk at the house. I have used two PIRs wired in parallel which switch four LED lights. The idea is no matter...
Replies
Views
Can I use multiple GU10 led lamps with their own PIR sensors in the same room? I have a row of existing lamps 600mm apart in a straight line & I...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock