Discuss Plastering directly over T&E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bit confused here,is it that people think that the capping is mechanical protection? It is in a sence but only for the plasterer who will dig into the cables.

But,, I think the mechanical protection reg is there for the people who think clipping Twin and Earths around a workshop is fine.

So as above, the plaster would indeed be mechanical protection. But as long as its us who carfully fill the chase for the plasterer then to skim over.

Note this is one example of a book load, I know we all read things diffrent.

Bit confused here,is it that people think that the capping is mechanical protection? It is in a sence but only for the plasterer who will dig into the cables.

But,, I think the mechanical protection reg is there for the people who think clipping Twin and Earths around a workshop is fine.

So as above, the plaster would indeed be mechanical protection. But as long as its us who carfully fill the chase for the plasterer then to skim over.

well the thing is n all Edd....just clipping flat twin direct in a workshop is/was one of the scenarios given for the 2391...a double garage being used as a lawnmower repair shop i think......

The T&E sheath is simple "mechanical protection", which is why it is ok to surface mount T&E. If you are talking about specific mechanical protection, such as steel conduit, or "suitable for environment", then that is a whole different ball-game.
I think you are right Edd, some people do think that capping serves as mechanical protection....
I honestly don't think there is much to misinterpret here if you read the BGB. :)

they were running convection heaters of it...therer was no additional protection by means of RCD....just a few of the baddies as far as i can remember....

The T&E sheath is simple "mechanical protection", which is why it is ok to surface mount T&E. If you are talking about specific mechanical protection, such as steel conduit, or "suitable for environment", then that is a whole different ball-game.
I think you are right Edd, some people do think that capping serves as mechanical protection....
I honestly don't think there is much to misinterpret here if you read the BGB. :)
well a schedule of inspections has a box for `selection of equipment and protective measures suitable to external influences`....now obviously this doesn`t mean outdoors.....although that is also sometimes the case.....

I personally do not like cables to be plastered in.....
Although there is nothing to say you can't, and In theory the only damage is going to be done by the plasterer if careless ;)

I always use oval conduit on any chase, this way it is effortless! if in months down the line they wish to alter or make additions. Just pull it up or down, simples :)

............. if in months down the line they wish to alter or make additions. Just pull it up or down, simples :)

Well using oval conduit is only of benefit if circuits need to be rewired using the same accessory positions
if your moving or adding points its of no use whatsoever.

Well using oval conduit is only of benefit if circuits need to be rewired using the same accessory positions
if your moving or adding points its of no use whatsoever.

Personally, I think this is a huge benefit. One of my pet hates is finding a cable which needs replacing that has been plastered over.

Personally, I think this is a huge benefit. One of my pet hates is finding a cable which needs replacing that has been plastered over.
well if you have to dog out a damaged cable out of plaster..then its the owner/occupiers hard lines innit...after all its usually them that nailed it anyway.....got all `inspired` by the orange shed adds....

Future proofing for future changes is all well and good,but if taken to its extreme,its nice to go into a council flat and pull singles through the full conduit system,but that is not a goods enough reason for me to want to do it on my own installs

Must say,I use capping and oval simply because its easy and looks neat,also I hear so much about protection from the plasterers trowel
In all honesty I have never come across damage by that means
He would have to be one hell of a useless spread to slice his way through a cable

Reply to Plastering directly over T&E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net