Discuss Please explain this transformer from a scientific instrument in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cyphyer

DIY
Reaction score
First post, DIY.

I harvested this heavy transformer from an instrument that we took out of commission.
I live in a 220v country and I want to know if I can use this safely to run 120v tools (like routers etc).

1. It states 2kv. Is this ~2000 or ~4000 watts? (i.e. do I multiply by 120 or 220?).

2. This transformer has a more complicated than usual tag on it. The way the primary and secondary voltages are listed in multiple lines - I do not understand. And What are the T24s?

Bottom line: Can I safely use this to transform 220v to 110v with no modifications - just hook it up and use it?

Cheers!

Please explain this transformer from a scientific instrument tranformer1 - EletriciansForums.netPlease explain this transformer from a scientific instrument tranformer2 - EletriciansForums.netPlease explain this transformer from a scientific instrument tranformer - EletriciansForums.net

it would appear so if you configuer the wiring to suit.

it would appear so if you configuer the wiring to suit.
So the white tag is what's possible and the silver tag from outside the box is the wiring they did? So according to the silver tag, seems this is a 220 to 120 transformer?
(No way I will mess around with the wiring - I just want to use the darn thing)

That transformer is setup as a 230v input / 230v ouput isolation transformer until you reconfigure the output wiring do not connect any 110 / 120v tools to it

That transformer is setup as a 230v input / 230v ouput isolation transformer until you reconfigure the output wiring do not connect any 110 / 120v tools to it
Ahhh. Got it. Makes sense it was to isolate. Thanks!
Does this mean a qualified person can rewire it? <-- NM, you already said this lol.

I think I am getting it.
If theoretically, if one were to remove the bridge circled below in red, would that would turn it into a 230V to 115V transformer? Instead of just a 230 to 230 isolation transformer?

-
Please explain this transformer from a scientific instrument tranformer1 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Cypher

If you were to remove the bridge wire alone, you won't get anything out.

Simplest would be to remove the bridge as you suggest, and then move the two white wires in the right 0 terminal into the first 0 terminal on the left.

I think you could connect the two 115v windings in parallel if you needed more current - can someone confirm?

or if it's the case that each pair of white/black goes to a separate outlet socket, then put one pair on the left hand winding. And the other pair on the right. That's if you ever want to run two different 115v equipments.

I think I am getting it.
If theoretically, if one were to remove the bridge circled below in red, would that would turn it into a 230V to 115V transformer? Instead of just a 230 to 230 isolation transformer?

-
View attachment 61419
You need to link the 0's together and the 115's together on the output side to parallel the windings, then your output is taken from one the 0's and one of the 115's

One think I notice is that the output sockets seem to be Type F which are rated at 10A maximum. This was OK with the transformer in 230-230 mode as its maximum output current was 9A. In 230-115 step-down mode the transformer will deliver 18A so the sockets and typical cables connected to them will no longer be protected against overload. This could occur if adaptors were made to take the plugs of power tools, etc.

One think I notice is that the output sockets seem to be Type F which are rated at 10A maximum. This was OK with the transformer in 230-230 mode as its maximum output current was 9A. In 230-115 step-down mode the transformer will deliver 18A so the sockets and typical cables connected to them will no longer be protected against overload. This could occur if adaptors were made to take the plugs of power tools, etc.
But wiring one secondary winding to one of the two sockets, and the second winding to the second socket, would be OK! ?

Not really, because then you could overload the winding as well as the socket if you connect all the load to one socket.

Output fuses or a new socket is where it's at.

Reply to Please explain this transformer from a scientific instrument in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock