Discuss Power Inverter Without a Transformer? Please Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and looking at this True Sine Wave Power Inverter from AliExpress, but I have never seen any inverter without a transformer?
How do they work without one, and how does this one's build look for a cheapish China one? (£125)
As I'm not abele to spend much money as it's to power a 75w 240v fridge with a 900w start up load (30 seconds), a small 600w kettle and a microwave oven with a 1400w peak load, the kettle and oven won't be run at the same time, and the power for the inverter is coming from a 400w panel and 300ah of Lb batteries all in a garden shed on an allotment.

Also, I just had to return another inverter I got off ebay that was claiming to be a true sine wave, but I soon found out it was a modified wave which made the fridge loud as hell.

So please feel free to tell me what you think.

Aaron.
inverter 2500w5000w.PNG

The transformer is the toroid labelled 'amorphous inverter.' The heavy leads in glassfibre braid form the primary and the enamelled copper wire the secondary. It runs at such a high frequency that very few turns are needed and the core area is very small.

I think the rating is probably a little optimistic, it's quite lightly built, but impossible to tell with any certainly how it will last or perform. The devil is in the detail - e.g. capacitor ESR and lifetime, transistor rating, design of the bridge driver - which can only be guessed at without measurement and testing. I can see things I would design differently.

Reply to Power Inverter Without a Transformer? Please Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net