Discuss Powering Cooker hood.....with switched mains??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Misterkevster

Hi.....looking for some comment here.

Just in process of updating kitchen, and it has been suggested that I can power a cooker extractor hood from the lighting circuit.

Further inspection reveals that there isn't the usual ceiling rose, with access to constant mains, but instead, switched mains only.....:( (The rose/junction box is hidden in loft space, ant not at all accessible)

So....question is....can I use the switched mains to power the hood...(which would be protected by it's own 3A fuse)?? The kitchen light would need to be ON in order to operate the fan....quite like that idea!

Don't seem good practice to me if you have access to loft above kitchen can you not come off socket circuit

The Ring would be the best choice. Don't forget that as the work is in a Kitchen, you should be a part P registered Electrician to carry it out.

Ahould you feed an appliance from a lighting circuit or a power circuit? Surely the question answers itself?
Lighting circuit for the lights, power circuit for power

Nothing wrong with taking a light (good example is a security light) from a power circuit via an FCU. Also not unrealistic to feed a loft mounted aerial booster from the upstairs lighting circuit, rather than chase all the way up the wall from the ring.

Daz

if he isn't I am - Wales Part P includes all kitchen works... England only if new circuits...

OK: It was a simple question, I don't do Domestic but as far as I was aware there's no Distinction in Part P between England / Wales. It says Part P is applicable in England / Wales.
I'm not disputing what your saying but interestingly, I just looked on the IET website (English) & it says that Part P is applicable in England / Wales and one of the things it lists under P is all works within a Kitchen Whether New circuits or Additions to existing circuits. No mention of different rules for England.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Wales, it's the 2010 edition of Part P, which includes the kitchen as a special location, so this would required a notification to LABC. Same reason you can't do third party certification work here in Wales, that came in with the 2013 edition which relaxed the special locations for England.

Essentially the control of building regs has been devolved to the Welsh Assembly, so they make the rules we have to follow here. Pain in the posterior, but that's how it goes.

OK: It was a simple question, I don't do Domestic but as far as I was aware there's no Distinction in Part P between England / Wales. It says Part P is applicable in England / Wales.
I'm not disputing what your saying but interestingly, I just looked on the IET website (English) & it says that Part P is applicable in England / Wales and one of the things it lists under P is all works within a Kitchen Whether New circuits or Additions to existing circuits. No mention of different rules for England.

England and Wales operate off different rules for part P.

Fact

And part P is a building reg..nothing to do with the IET

Nothing wrong with taking a light (good example is a security light) from a power circuit via an FCU. Also not unrealistic to feed a loft mounted aerial booster from the upstairs lighting circuit, rather than chase all the way up the wall from the ring.

Daz

Yes I was generalising somewhat, and there are always times when you make exceptions, hopefully having considered the implications should a fault occur.
Fusing down from a power circuit presents no issues, but feeding a cooker hood via a lighting circuit presents the possibility of the kitchen lights going off if a fault occurs in the extractor which could be dangerous.

Hi.....looking for some comment here...
use the switched mains to power the hood...(which would be protected by it's own 3A fuse)
Hi - I like to use a double pole switched and fused connection unit for this. Also, don't hide it under the hood metalwork - like Kitchen Kev did at my place :)

England and Wales operate off different rules for part P.

Fact

And part P is a building reg &..nothing to do with the IET

Honestly, part P is a Building regulation & nothing to do with the IET Wow.
I wasn't aware that I said it was anything to do with the IET.
Just that I'd looked on the IET site & it said nothing in their explanation of Part P, about any differences between England / Wales FACT.
Now I really don't know why your throwing your dummy out of the pram over this & honestly don't care. I asked someone else a question not you, if you can't be bothered to give a civil answer then do me a favour & don't answer when I ask someone else a question. Life is really too short to listen to people like you.

Reply to Powering Cooker hood.....with switched mains??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock