Discuss Price advice? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johntom

Hi
i've recently passed my Elecsa and just been to price up a potential Job and wanted some advice re the quote.
The job involes a new CU, upgrading the bonding and meter tails ( CU, Gas meter, Electric meter and water pipe are all very close together). Also they want a small extension wiring up with 3 sockets, 2 lights, extractor fan. In addition 2 lights in the front pouch. All accessaries will be white.
The work is in South Yorkshire, i think there's £300 worth of CU, cable, accessaries etc and around 2 days of work. Any ideas where i should be with the quote?

£600-£800 labour @ £20 per hour (cheap!) A fair price if all goes well. Think it'll take you more than two days, plus testing and filling out the certs. Its to easy to under price a job, thats why most small business fail within the first two years.

Before you quote you really need to work out the cost of all equipment that you need to do the job and take into account is the garage attached to the house or is SWA cable required to run from the house to the garage. How is the garage going to be wired does your customer want a second consumer unit in the garage.

Does he want RCD and MCBs or RCBOs throughout once you know use your local B&Q if you have to. Far to many times around £300 has actually worked out to be nearer £400 by the time the customer has finished and that would eat into your profit.

After that its really up to you as to what you would be happy with compared to what other local sparkys would charge in your area.

Hope it works for you

Chris

The CU is in a wall cupboard, above the Gas meter, and water inlet. The meter box is on the outside of the same wall. There are 5 fuses in the old box, i reckon the CU change and testing would take a day. I priced the CU (4+4+2) etc via my local wholeseller and think £300 would be close to the cost for everything.

A Day to change CU and test?? i would say 3-4 hours max 1.5 for CU change and 2 hours to test and a day and a half will easy be enough for the rest of work.

if you are starting out why not quote a day rate you can live with and bill for parts at cost. you can then give an estimate of the work, including parts but make sure the customer knows that parts are at cost so if they suddenly want more or there is something you have forgotten you dont get burned.

im making plans of going domestic,& believe you haft to make it worth while,i.e when your looking (desighning)& going to pick materials up,it's your time to the job.
i think you haft to charge atleast 200,unless some builder gives you day work for a long period of time possibly drop it.
what do people charge a light,spot etc.ive heard 25 & 50 for sockets is that fair?

im making plans of going domestic,& believe you haft to make it worth while,i.e when your looking (desighning)& going to pick materials up,it's your time to the job.
i think you haft to charge atleast 200,unless some builder gives you day work for a long period of time possibly drop it.
what do people charge a light,spot etc.ive heard 25 & 50 for sockets is that fair?
£60 for a socket,£25 for a light,if you add a switch, then £60 for light and switch:)

do you put labour cost on top of that or is that incorporated in your price??
sorry to keep asking but i need to know how to suck egg's,so i dont balls myself up.

Reply to Price advice? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock