Discuss problem i should have sorted before now but not had money. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fendertele

Hey everyone i'm really hoping this issue is fixable and cheap as i have put it off due to low cash flow and tonight it got a bit dangerous.

My car started acting up a couple of months ago and has gradually got worse and it all began when i started leaving my car parked for days while working away in the winter so it wasn't being driven daily.

It began with the lights on the dash flickering...... then the radio would cut out for half a second and back on.

This was the only issue for weeks, then it started becoming more regular but still nothing serious except the inside of my car being like a rave lol!

I then took it to my personal mechanic for a service and mentioned it to him... but when he gave me the car back he mentioned he never saw any issue.... which is strange since it was always happening to me.

But funny enough after his service the issue was gone! well for a week.. then it came back but twice as bad... along with the flickering lights and radio cutting out the air/heating would begin to cut out for half a second and back on....... but up till now it had never affected the cars driving or engine.

But today while driving the engine cut out while i was driving and the engine management light came on and the steering locked up... so i pulled over and put my hazards on...

When trying to restart the car.... i was unable to and there was no revs when i had foot on the gas.... i was able to restart the car after about 15 mins and now the car is driving fine and all the flashing lights... radio cutting out.... air cutting out is gone!! like the problem has been fixed... but i have no doubt it will return.

any ideas of the culprit and how costly it could be ? someone mentioned a relay or something

thanks.

Or have you got a massive bunch of keys hanging from your ignition switch and knackered the barrel.
It is obviously a bad connection and need sorting out .
It seems to be affecting the switched live accessories , but it could well be a bad earth.

i got the battery changed not so long ago by my mechanic but he is very old and could quite easily have botched it lol!

but it's one of those batteries that has a light to show if it's still good... and the light is most defo green.

so im leaning to the bad connection thing... but it's just funny how whenever it gets a service or like yesterday the battery got disconnected by my mechanic to remove the engine light on dash... that it drives great for a week or so... he also hooked up his
laptop for readings and the one things that i saw was about..

............ de energized too early. can't remember what came before it.

Reply to problem i should have sorted before now but not had money. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net