Discuss pro's advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Malcolm - let's face it; either which way, it's not going to be you or me out with the sledge hammer knocking rods in. Fancy a beer that day whilst we watch?

You know what mate I have yet to put a rod in with an SDS ...........................it's still hit and hope with me, luckily or hopefully more like, I want my days of fitting rods to be of a minimum now, but never say never ...............fancy some scratchings with that beer ???

I think you need to sit down with your calculator and revisit some of these sums and your testing..... if you have a Zs of 3.35 when you have a Ze of 207, then that means you have an R1R2 value of -203.65. Now that's a cable I'd really love to know where to buy.

The low pfc values that you get on TT installs are part of the reason for the requirements for RCD protection; it is realised that you will never get anywhere near disconnection times with that little current.

To lower your Ra then as others have said, bang in some nice LONG 5/8 rods down to at least a couple of metres.

Sorry my typo : r1+r2 of 3.35. lol

think im gunna just put longer rod in . yes they are covered by rcd od course ( dis times etc) just trying to keep costs down for customer ( single mum ). doing this will enable the continued use us existing bonding . therefore wont hav to ripp up her laminate flooring to run new 10mm.

Conversion to PME will mean upgrading , therefore cost and damaged flooring.

.it's still hit and hope with me, luckily or hopefully more like, I want my days of fitting rods to be of a minimum now, but never say never ...............fancy some scratchings with that beer ???

Not an earth rod, but a couple of summers ago I was on a festival site and there was a problem with one of the tent pins (metal stakes) on a massive tent/stage... the pin HAD to be where it was, but had hit rock - the problem being that if you dug the rock up there'd not be enough friction left afterwards for the pin. A JCB came along with one of those hydraulic thumper things on the arm, but after 10 mins the driver gave up and disappeared......so for 2 whole days a site team of fit strong lads (and a couple of lasses) took it in turns just to whack this thing with 18 pound sledges - and a fraction of a mil at a time, it eventually went in.

Re adding a rod: If you go that route it will need to be at a distance away at least 3 times the length of the existing rod

Where on earth did you get that from?? You'll be seeing very little advantage, spacing more than 1.5 to 2 times max, the driven length of the first or existing rod....

By linking to a Yank web page perhaps more importantly to note the size/length of ''THERE'' standard earth rods, smallest being 8 foot, but generally 10 foot!!!! Bit different to the thin 3/8'' 1m twigs that i keep getting told are suitable for purpose!! Like hell they are!! ...lol!!

Sorry my typo : r1+r2 of 3.35. lol

think im gunna just put longer rod in . yes they are covered by rcd od course ( dis times etc) just trying to keep costs down for customer ( single mum ). doing this will enable the continued use us existing bonding . therefore wont hav to ripp up her laminate flooring to run new 10mm.

Conversion to PME will mean upgrading , therefore cost and damaged flooring.

So the families safety and well being, is secondary to your customer, than the thought of disturbing a laminate floor?? And what's worse , you seem to agree with them!!!

Reply to pro's advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock