Discuss PRS registration to carry out EICRs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If that was the case, it would be in the Legislation, which it isn't.

It would appear you have to register with the government to carry out EICRs in the private rental sector

Presumably you have some evidence for this and aren't just spreading false information without checking the facts?

After all electricians are intelligent people who have the ability to think independantly and don't blindly accept rumours as facts aren't they?

I'm going to hazard a guess that this has come from the article in the free mag at the wholesalers, there was something in there suggesting a PRS (professional registration scheme, I had to read it to find out what the acronym was for) could/should be created.

I'm going to hazard a guess that this has come from the article in the free mag at the wholesalers, there was something in there suggesting a PRS (professional registration scheme, I had to read it to find out what the acronym was for) could/should be created.
PRS is Private Rental Sector in this context. There is a register, albeit not a mandatory one that I'm aware of.

In fact if you look into the additional notes addended to the S.I. you will find that you don't even have to be a member of a CPS. The reasoning being it would just add another layer of bureaucracy which I am sure we all agree is not in the spirit of the S.I. (he said ironically)

According to this month's NIC connections magazine,you need to register to be on the PRS approved scheme.If you are an NIC approved electrician then you just fill in the registration form and your done.For everyone else it states...

"It is not a legal requirement for landlord's to use contractors on the register,but it is the easiest route to compliance.Should landlord's wish to use an inspector not on the register,they will need to verify competency using a check list laid out by the Ministry for Housing.This will require the landlord to confirm the inspectors experience,whether they have the required insurance and they hold a qualification covering inspection and testing and wiring regulations"

According to this month's NIC connections magazine,you need to register to be on the PRS approved scheme.If you are an NIC approved electrician then you just fill in the registration form and your done.For everyone else it states...

"It is not a legal requirement for landlord's to use contractors on the register,but it is the easiest route to compliance.Should landlord's wish to use an inspector not on the register,they will need to verify competency using a check list laid out by the Ministry for Housing.This will require the landlord to confirm the inspectors experience,whether they have the required insurance and they hold a qualification covering inspection and testing and wiring regulations"
Hi I've carried out Periodic Tests and inspection work for over 20 years and have never found it a requirement to belong to any scheme..nether do I think it is desirable...most of us have gone through training to become sparks and to carry out testing ..I see no reason why we need someone else looking over our shoulders. I feel that if enough of the trade simply ignore this rubbish sooner or later officialdom will get bored and leave us alone to do what we do best. I am not a member of any scheme and I must admit the cost of membership is way beyond my means...this does however not prevent me carrying out my work as I have always done . My experience is that after an initial period of reminding me to issue some sort of notification both the customer and the local authority get bored and go away

I am not a member of any scheme and I must admit the cost of membership is way beyond my means...
I would respectfully suggest that you cannot possibly be charging a sensible rate if it is beyond your means. I find that each of the bodies with which I am registered add value to my business, and that is why I am registered with them.

I was just reading this up today. It appears to not be mandatory, but landlords will be encouraged to pick off the register. I do probably only 3-4 EICR's a year. It's a useful source of extra income though, especially since ~ 80% of them need additional works to get through.

Problem is, the PRS register becomes another revenue earner for the schemes, and will be another paid-for half day assessment each year. For me at least, it might turn up that the last EICR I did was four months ago, (not exactly easy for the assessor, or for me to argue for another access). It's hard enough getting access and turfing out residents and switching their power off for a day just the once. Many of my friendly domestic customers put up with an annual inspection visit, but I'm not sure that landlords would be happy with repeat visits for an assessment. They'd have to set it all up in advance and agree it with their tenants. What a pain.

I will speak to my scheme about this, but TBH, will probably not bother, and just point out widely as I can on my website and twitter etc that PRS register is not necessary. According to NICEIC, landlord simply has to confirm experience, insurance and that inspector holds 18th ed regs. That's not on the MHCLG website yet AFAICT, - (but NICEIC imply it will be).

According to NICEIC, landlord simply has to confirm experience, insurance and that inspector holds 18th ed regs. That's not on the MHCLG website yet AFAICT, - (but NICEIC imply it will be).

It is on the Gov weblink for Landlords, Section 5, in fact it DOES NOT mention the PRS;

The electrical safety industry has established competent person schemes. Membership of these will not be compulsory to ensure there is no further pressure placed on the industry, nor undue burden placed on inspectors and testers.

When commissioning an inspection, in order to establish if a person is qualified and competent landlords can:
  • check if the inspector is a member of a competent person scheme; or
  • require the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.

Hi I've carried out Periodic Tests and inspection work for over 20 years and have never found it a requirement to belong to any scheme..nether do I think it is desirable...most of us have gone through training to become sparks and to carry out testing ..I see no reason why we need someone else looking over our shoulders. I feel that if enough of the trade simply ignore this rubbish sooner or later officialdom will get bored and leave us alone to do what we do best. I am not a member of any scheme and I must admit the cost of membership is way beyond my means...this does however not prevent me carrying out my work as I have always done . My experience is that after an initial period of reminding me to issue some sort of notification both the customer and the local authority get bored and go away

Pfft, cause that’s the right solution isn’t it. Ignore it till it goes away. Feel sorry for your clients.

I was just reading this up today. It appears to not be mandatory, but landlords will be encouraged to pick off the register. I do probably only 3-4 EICR's a year. It's a useful source of extra income though, especially since ~ 80% of them need additional works to get through.

Problem is, the PRS register becomes another revenue earner for the schemes, and will be another paid-for half day assessment each year. For me at least, it might turn up that the last EICR I did was four months ago, (not exactly easy for the assessor, or for me to argue for another access). It's hard enough getting access and turfing out residents and switching their power off for a day just the once. Many of my friendly domestic customers put up with an annual inspection visit, but I'm not sure that landlords would be happy with repeat visits for an assessment. They'd have to set it all up in advance and agree it with their tenants. What a pain.

I will speak to my scheme about this, but TBH, will probably not bother, and just point out widely as I can on my website and twitter etc that PRS register is not necessary. According to NICEIC, landlord simply has to confirm experience, insurance and that inspector holds 18th ed regs. That's not on the MHCLG website yet AFAICT, - (but NICEIC imply it will be).
Reading your last message am i correct in thinking that these new tests have to be carried out on an annual basis ?

Reply to PRS registration to carry out EICRs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net