Discuss PUB GARDEN ELECTROCUTION TRIAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's long been my opinion that pubs have their own version of the electrical regs.
I've never had any pubs on my books, but my daughter is the assistant manager at our local country pub.
Shortly before the world went mad, three years ago, I received a 'phone call at around 10.30 am from my panicking daughter, telling me that they were fully booked for lunch, and half the power to the pub had gone off, including a lot of the kitchen, and could I help.
Ten minutes later, I was there, discovered a RCD that wouldn't stay on, traced this to a lighting circuit, then discovered something 'interesting' - even with that RCD off, there was reduced power to the circuits it protected, which was resulting in some of the LED lamps around the place going into 'disco mode'.
Supply to the place was split phase, and I discovered this voltage was from the opposite phase and being transferred by the emergency light installation. The whole CU cupboard was as rough as the proverbial badger's, so I disconnected that circuit, informing the landlord as to what I had done, and strongly recommending that the whole lot needed work urgently.
Enquired as to whether any electrical work had been done lately, and was told that the kitchen fluorescent lights were new. Took the cover off of the first one, and found a looped permanent live, joined with strip connector, and with one conductor sticking right through, cleverly positioned so that it touched the inside of the cover when screwed in place, confirmed by a little burn mark.
Time was now round 12 midday, so Sunday lunch was saved, if a little delayed for some.
Place is now under new ownership, and has had extensive renovations, so hopefully the wiring has now been improved (even if nothing more was done after my work).

It's long been my opinion that pubs have their own version of the electrical regs.
I've never had any pubs on my books, but my daughter is the assistant manager at our local country pub.
Shortly before the world went mad, three years ago, I received a 'phone call at around 10.30 am from my panicking daughter, telling me that they were fully booked for lunch, and half the power to the pub had gone off, including a lot of the kitchen, and could I help.
Ten minutes later, I was there, discovered a RCD that wouldn't stay on, traced this to a lighting circuit, then discovered something 'interesting' - even with that RCD off, there was reduced power to the circuits it protected, which was resulting in some of the LED lamps around the place going into 'disco mode'.
Supply to the place was split phase, and I discovered this voltage was from the opposite phase and being transferred by the emergency light installation. The whole CU cupboard was as rough as the proverbial badger's, so I disconnected that circuit, informing the landlord as to what I had done, and strongly recommending that the whole lot needed work urgently.
Enquired as to whether any electrical work had been done lately, and was told that the kitchen fluorescent lights were new. Took the cover off of the first one, and found a looped permanent live, joined with strip connector, and with one conductor sticking right through, cleverly positioned so that it touched the inside of the cover when screwed in place, confirmed by a little burn mark.
Time was now round 12 midday, so Sunday lunch was saved, if a little delayed for some.
Place is now under new ownership, and has had extensive renovations, so hopefully the wiring has now been improved (even if nothing more was done after my work).
Many times I've gone out for a meal to various local pubs/eating places and looked around at the various dodgy electrics, i guess It's down to the Cornish jobs a good un way.

Reply to PUB GARDEN ELECTROCUTION TRIAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net