Discuss Pulling cutout fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That box is nice, Freddo, because it's an 8-way. Many 2 / 3/ 4 way boxes survived because they were used in so many homes, but 8-way are rare and its great that this one has been saved.

I recently was called out to look at a possible rewiring job, The customer had someone in to do some work in the bathroom (6 months prior) as part of that work they changed to consumer unit and put an Earth stake in.
Anyway the consumer unit was a mess, you could tell the previous electrician didn't quite know how to fit a new mantel unit and as a result he got himself in a bit of bother...
I'm not quite sure of the series of events but I was curious to why the previous electrician had put a rod in, I could see it would have been an TNS supply, I also noticed that I could see evidence of superglue around the rear of the cutout....
Its not obvious but when you look carefully at the picture you can see the whole cutout has dropped and its not fixed.
It was then I noticed scorch marks on the bottom of the mantel unit...
I believe the previous electrician pulled the fuse and shorted the incomer to the mantel unit, possibly losing the suppliers earth at the same time...

Fortunately I noticed this as if I had just gone in and pulled the main fuse I would have been in serious trouble, but this has definitely changed my view on pulling main fuses.

20200121_101319.jpg20200825_085438.jpg20200825_085741.jpg
[automerge]1600596371[/automerge]
Pictures of afterwards to save the customer costs I re-used the old unit, I know its not the neatest.
The DNO came after I'd finished so when I csme back to connect the suppliers earth up so I left the 100ma Upfront RCD in. 20200903_084902.jpg

Attachments

• 20200903_090006.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Fortunately I noticed this as if I had just gone in and pulled the main fuse I would have been in serious trouble, but this has definitely changed my view on pulling main fuses.
Yes, a lucky escape there. As you say, something to be very cautious about doing.
Pictures of afterwards to save the customer costs I re-used the old unit, I know its not the neatest.
It is still a huge improvement!
The DNO came after I'd finished so when I csme back to connect the suppliers earth up so I left the 100ma Upfront RCD in.
No harm in that.

as above, a huge improvement, even though it'd protecrap.

That box is nice, Freddo, because it's an 8-way. Many 2 / 3/ 4 way boxes survived because they were used in so many homes, but 8-way are rare and its great that this one has been saved.
It's a shame many of the fuse carriers are crumbling apart, this one has been on the shelf in the office of my now retired boss. It was moved out of there the other day, I will ensure it doesn't head towards the skip.
I know its not the neatest.
It's a massive improvement, looks great! :thumbsup:

That before photo is absolutely farking disgusting, there is no excuse for anyone to be carrying out work to such a poor standard.

Reply to Pulling cutout fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net