Discuss Put your safety glasses on!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cbw

-
Reaction score
I am sure most of you have seen an angle grinder disk go bang, my first time today!!!

Said to my collegue, put some safety glasses on......

Nah dont need those.....

Here, a nice new pair, wear them!

BANG!!!!!

We both got showered in 9" grinder disk, thankfully, all we got between us was a slight cut to a leg!!!!!

Both had a face full of **** though!!!!

Very lucky.
Put your safety glasses on!!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Put your safety glasses on!!!! 001 - EletriciansForums.net
    001.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 218
The benefits of a pair of safety glasses shouldn't be underestimated; last year I was using a bit of polythene pipe (it was all we had) as a draw wire, lying down under a floor. I slipped and the pipe sprang back and hit me in the eye. The guy at the eye unit at A&E said he gets loads of sparkies and tradesmen in general with similar injuries.
They gave me some drops which made my pupil dilate and gave me blurred vision so I had 3 days off work (unpaid) that week, then have had a couple more off (unpaid) when the scratch opened up again.
To top it all off I went to a waterpark on holiday a couple of weeks ago. A large splash of chlorine water in the eye is particularly uncomfortable with a corneal abrasion - cue itchy, watery, bloodshot eye for the next 3 days :(

I wear safety glasses nearly all the time at work now. I learned the hard way.

Should be full face shield with angle grinders as they can also bite especially on the bigger hand grinders, if that happens the natural rotation has the effect of flicking the whole grinder towards your head... got a bloke on site that found this out the hard way and thus had the blade cut deep into his cheek.

I wore mine today as i was chasing for most of the day. In the past i have not bothered but have had brick/block slivers in the eye on two occasions and it is not pleasant. My own fault

Seen so many accidents and injuries that could have been avoided by wearing correct PPE, I still forget sometimes though and that's when it bites...

And wear knee pads too. My father and father in law both have knackered knees from years of hard graft. Also painful if you kneel on a nail or staple (or worse still grippa-strip)!!

always wear them now,I used a motor strimmer years ago without glasses, flicked a stone straight into my left eye,spent five days flat on my back in hospital cost me 50% of my vision.

of flicking the whole grinder towards your head... got a bloke on site that found this out the hard way and thus had the blade cut deep into his cheek.
Put your safety glasses on!!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The trouble with safety glasses is people use them ,they steam up, even the ones which say they don't and then they get taken off
I used to work in engineering and saw several accidents ie exploding machine tools and grinding discs very common and usually quite nasty
I always wore mine as I didn't fancy a new nickname like the ones given to 2 colleagues in different companies who lost an eye each.
by the way if cyclops or terminator are reading this '' Alright lads!''

Seriously though its not funny when it does happen and I'm always telling people to put them on the two chaps above were both young when it happened to them

A few years ago I was working on a kitchen contract with 6 lads, just first fixing everyday for a year , the firm typically gave you one pair and expected them to last 10 years and people were constantly getting bits of cement ,plaster and wood /dust in their eyes , they wore them until they were too scratched ,around two weeks and carried on without them.
I always bought my own anyway for this very reason which some people found amusing but I didn't care about the cost as its cheaper than a new eye!

I did a bit of research into other products and found some glasses which used stainless steel mesh with microscopic holes so they'll stop foreign objects (not sparks though) and to some degree dust but the good thing is they cannot steam up and last much longer than the polycarbonate type

I never actually ordered any to try but last week I was talkng about it with the apprentice and I'm going to order some to see if they're good in practice has anyone any experience of these specs?

I think they have a time and a place, (ie when your using power tools) But on these sites where they want you where them all the time, jesus what a pain. :|

Shattered discs are more oftem than not caused by overtightening the centre nut that holds the disc in place.

It only needs to be just tight, I've seen guys hitting the spanner with a hammer to get it tighter, 10 mins later BANG!!!

I think they have a time and a place, (ie when your using power tools) But on these sites where they want you where them all the time, jesus what a pain. :|
Some of them want you to wear all of the gear all of the time - hard hat, glasses, ear plugs, high viz, steel toecaps, gloves, long sleeves... Regardless of the task you're doing or where it is - high viz indoors where there are no vehicles about doesn't make much sense, similarly wearing a hard hat at the top of a scaffold tower or steel toecaps in a finished office or customer's house when the customer is walking around in slippers or barefoot, or having to try to write something with gloves on. If anything I reckon it discourages operatives to think and identify hazards for themselves, thereby making the site less safe.

I would welcome a swing back in the direction of the old 'wear PPE by all means but if you get hurt it's your own stupid fault' way of thinking.

Sorry to keep banging on but, you should also make sure the disc you use is rated to the RPM of your grinder too.

I've seen guys loose half their faces through poor grinder use, it aint nice I can tell thee.

The benefits of a pair of safety glasses shouldn't be underestimated; last year I was using a bit of polythene pipe (it was all we had) as a draw wire, lying down under a floor. I slipped and the pipe sprang back and hit me in the eye. The guy at the eye unit at A&E said he gets loads of sparkies and tradesmen in general with similar injuries.
They gave me some drops which made my pupil dilate and gave me blurred vision so I had 3 days off work (unpaid) that week, then have had a couple more off (unpaid) when the scratch opened up again.
To top it all off I went to a waterpark on holiday a couple of weeks ago. A large splash of chlorine water in the eye is particularly uncomfortable with a corneal abrasion - cue itchy, watery, bloodshot eye for the next 3 days :(

I wear safety glasses nearly all the time at work now. I learned the hard way.

I personally in your case wouldn't be worried too much of a serious accident but more so of a heart attack that plate of greasy breakfast will give you if its there as a pic of pride (profile pic) ;) , slight humour aside my crowd of mates are in their 40's and 50's and those that lets say enjoy their curries and fry-ups are ALL now effected in some way or other be it Diebetes to strokes etc....... Weetabix all the way mate or pay the price. Dont get me wrong not preaching just saw your pic and reminded me of a freind we just buried 46yrs old heart attack related to diet and drink.

Sorry to keep banging on but, you should also make sure the disc you use is rated to the RPM of your grinder too.

I've seen guys loose half their faces through poor grinder use, it aint nice I can tell thee.

Posted it earlier but yes seen this although he had goggles on he ripped right up his face because when disc snagged and kicked back, ive seen ppl talking about eye protection regarding grinders but PPE for a hand grinder should be full face shield.

Just watched an episode of the Salvager, nothing more than a pair of Dr Robotnic glasses and a bandana are needed for cutting through an old bandsaw blade with sparks landing on his workshop carpet, pure genius...

It will never beat the local I saw in a hot and dusty country using a gas axe to cut up vehicle chassis wearing nothing more than flip flops and a dish dash, he did hop a few times with the molten stuff landing on his toes.

I have to agree that some places take PPE to the extreme when it is not required, seen one bloke kicked off site as he'd just taken his gloves off to refit a grub screw that had decided to roll around on the floor. No questions asked, pack up your tools and F off... The problem is too many H&S nazis getting too much money without a clue.

Reply to Put your safety glasses on!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock