Discuss Putting batteries in series to inverter in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

droidus

DIY
Reaction score
I have the following batteries I need to connect to this inverter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L89LW3P https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YDQSDC4. I need to set the two batteries up in a series. I watched a few videos, and see you should attach the positive terminal first, then negative. Is there anything else I need to look out for/be careful of to prevent any personal injury?
Also, I live in an apartment. Is it ok to leave them connected on carpet? The only danger I could think of is some kind of static? I have some cats; is there any danger to them if I don't cordon off the electrical connections? Do I need to put some kind of protection barrier around them?

To connect the two batteries in series, to get 24V, you connect the positive of one to the negative of the other. You will then have 24 volts between the other positive and negative terminals.
It doesn't matter in the slightest what you connect first, but it absolutely matters that at no time you short circuit either one of the individual batteries or both after you have connected them in series. Doing so will result in extremely hot smoking wires at best, or at worst, an explosion and fire.
They'll be fine on the carpet, and won't be affected by cats or static, and neither will the cats be affected by them, but , as above, it's absolutely essential that there is no chance of a short circuit.

To connect the two batteries in series, to get 24V, you connect the positive of one to the negative of the other. You will then have 24 volts between the other positive and negative terminals.
It doesn't matter in the slightest what you connect first, but it absolutely matters that at no time you short circuit either one of the individual batteries or both after you have connected them in series. Doing so will result in extremely hot smoking wires at best, or at worst, an explosion and fire.
They'll be fine on the carpet, and won't be affected by cats or static, and neither will the cats be affected by them, but , as above, it's absolutely essential that there is no chance of a short circuit.
Awesome!
Looked up a video about short circuiting. Found the following:
. In the video, it says that a short circuit happens when there is a "complete circuit, no resistor". If I connect the batteries to the inverter, where is the resistor in this case? What would be an example of a short circuit, in this case?

The results of that experiment with your battery would be a LOT more spectacular. The paper clip would rapidly heat to bright red, and then melt into drops of white hot molten metal. By that time, the wires would also be a charred, smoking mess.
With your equipment, as far as the batteries are concerned, the inverter IS the resistor that limits the current.

Awesome!
Looked up a video about short circuiting. Found the following:
. In the video, it says that a short circuit happens when there is a "complete circuit, no resistor". If I connect the batteries to the inverter, where is the resistor in this case? What would be an example of a short circuit, in this case?
Brianmoooore you beat me to it 🤪

To keep it simple, there is an equivalent of the resistor is in the inverter. It is designed to be connected to the batteries directly (in the way explained in the instructions) without causing a 'short circuit' type condition.
But you absolutely must connect the wires the correct way round!

Just noticed two of the cables (black/red pair) are double-wire. Not sure why. Where do they go? Just trying to figure out how to hook this thing up. Also, do I need to shrink-wrap gauges onto the end of that one bare wire? Does it matter what gauge size I use (other than it just fits onto the ends of the terminal)?
Putting batteries in series to inverter IMG_20220306_142707 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Did you not get a wiring diagram with the kit you bought, explaining which wire is used for what ?
I imagine the partially prepared stripped cable ends are to go in screw terminals or twist terminals on the inverter/controller. I don't think it is intended that you connect further wires onto the bare ends!

Does the illustration below (from your link) look anything like what you've got?
Putting batteries in series to inverter DED76438-073D-414C-9B3F-F78BEE6D9706 - EletriciansForums.net

Looking through the Solar Charge Inverter manual, I found the following pictures. So I guess they go from the inverter to the battery, by the looks of it. Why would this be two wires instead of just one?
As for the wire with bare ends, I do not see anything about it. I could try and ask them what it's used for.
Putting batteries in series to inverter IMG_20220306_180448_1 - EletriciansForums.net

Why would this be two wires instead of just one?
To carry the current. Two smaller wires rather than one fat one maybe easier for production. Use existing equipment. One less gauge wire to stock etc.
As for the wire with bare ends, I do not see anything about it. I could try and ask them what it's used for.
Good idea!

I asked about the battery balencer which I did not receive as well as that cable, and here is the response that I received:
This order doesn't have a separate controller, but it does include a balancer, maybe the shipping worker forgot the balancer part. Don't worry, i just arranged a resend for that missing balancer. The all-in-one inverter comes with a build-in controller, by the way.
The blud & blown cable is for connection from inverter to battery bank, the another shorter one, that's for connection between batteries.

Finally got the courage to put it together! Didn't get zapped! How's it look?
As for safety, I assume it should be unplugged when not home/unattended... if so, where should I disconnect? Also, on the inverter, the battery terminals had plastic caps on them. Should I put them over the current connections?
I noticed the fan spun up when I plugged it into my outlet.... is that normal?

EDIT:
I did notice when I set it all up, and I went to connect the battery in series to the negative end of the inverter, there was a small spark. I tried it a few more times, and there was no spark. I am assuming that that is fine/normal.

Attachments

• Putting batteries in series to inverter IMG_20220311_105316 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20220311_105316.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If you're connecting the batteries under load then a small spark is normal. It used to be a danger a few years ago before the sealed battery came into existence.

Interesting. There was no load. Could the inverter have been pulling some, even if it was off?

Interesting. There was no load. Could the inverter have been pulling some, even if it was off?

Yes, possibly a small amount. Very few things have full on/off switches these days.

Spark would have been charging a capacitor somewhere.
The biggest danger with the set up is something metal dropping onto the top of a battery and shorting the terminals, so if the plastic caps will go back on, fit them.
The fan will be controlled by electronics inside the invertor, and I expect is doing whatever the designers intended.

If I wanted to charge the batteries from the outlet, do I set my inverter to Battery Priority or AC Priority? The manual isn't very clear.

If I wanted to charge the batteries from the outlet, do I set my inverter to Battery Priority or AC Priority? The manual isn't very clear.
Looking at the manual for another brand of inverter it says:

'When the inverter is set to battery priority, it will invert power from the battery bank to the AC outlets until the low voltage set point is reached. If there is an AC source connected while under battery priority it will charge the battery after the low voltage is reached and use the AC source to power the AC outlets. When the battery is fully charged, the inverter will switch to battery power.

When choosing AC priority, the battery power will only be used when there is no shore power connected to the inverter. Once AC power is connected the inverter will start charging the battery bank."

So I think you should set it to AC priority to charge the batteries 🙂

But that does mean if you switch the inverter off at the plug, it will start inverting power from the batteries!

Looking at the manual for another brand of inverter it says:

'When the inverter is set to battery priority, it will invert power from the battery bank to the AC outlets until the low voltage set point is reached. If there is an AC source connected while under battery priority it will charge the battery after the low voltage is reached and use the AC source to power the AC outlets. When the battery is fully charged, the inverter will switch to battery power.

When choosing AC priority, the battery power will only be used when there is no shore power connected to the inverter. Once AC power is connected the inverter will start charging the battery bank."

So I think you should set it to AC priority to charge the batteries 🙂

But that does mean if you switch the inverter off at the plug, it will start inverting power from the batteries!
So when you say "start inverting power from the batteries", does that mean since it is off right now/unplugged from my wall outlet, and set to AC Priority, it is using the batteries, even if there is nothing plugged into the outlets for load? If so, is there any way to prevent this? Do I just need to disconnect the batteries?
As for storing the batteries for months, what is the best voltage to keep them at? Fully charged?

So when you say "start inverting power from the batteries", does that mean since it is off right now/unplugged from my wall outlet, and set to AC Priority, it is using the batteries, even if there is nothing plugged into the outlets for load? If so, is there any way to prevent this? Do I just need to disconnect the batteries?
To be honest, I don't know for sure.
I'm not clear if it has an 'off' switch to tell it to do nothing?
If it doesn't, but has 'load detection' circuitry, it's probably not busy inverting power, but it might be using a tiny tiny bit of power monitoring what's going on.
I would be inclined to disconnect the batteries if you are not using it for days.
As for storing the batteries for months, what is the best voltage to keep them at? Fully charged?
I believe fully charged. But it is good to exercise them ocassionally, and I believe some inverters actually switch over to battery inversion to drain the batteries periodically, once a fortnight or something. So it is a good idea to use them from time to time, not just sitting for six months fully charged.
Someone with Leisure battery knowledge ..... chip in please 🤔

Reply to Putting batteries in series to inverter in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock