Discuss Question about getting 400+ amps installed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I'll try my best to explain not the best at explaining things but I have a project i'm working on currently and that is either get 400-800 amps installed in the next house I move into or into a shed but my problem is off memory a duel wall socket has a max voltage of 15 amps and for my project it's going to need alot more power than that, so I was wondering since chances are i'm going to be using almost all those amps what would the best way to do it? I was thinking of getting many many double wall sockets installed onto a single wall in said room/shed. There has to be a much better way to do it anyone have any ideas or suggestions please? thank you very much :)

what youse growing in there? i'll buy some.

seriously, for that project i think you need professional advice/design.

Let's say pf=0.8 as we are not supposed to know what kind of load it is.
800 * 230 * 0.8 * A$0.33/kWh = A$49 per hour to run. Also your house will be kind of hot.
Or doesn't it run all the time? ;)

If you can explain what it is that needs that sort of current maybe someone can help.

For that sort of power level (assuming sustained 800A at 230V) you might be looking at a HV feed and local transformer, unless you are very close to a substation with ample capacity. Seriously, this is going to cost real money so you have to a sound plan for why you need it and that it is affordable.

Hey fella's sorry @loz is right I was stuffed and headed to bed haha but unfortunately I ain't growing but i'm planning on building a big bitcoin farm half as a project to learn from and also because i've got a small one currently running and obsessed with it so probably going to waste money or so but it's a project i'm interested in. Anyone have any suggestions on how to run so much power in a single room/shed? Ty :)

Ps going to run a air conditioner 24/7 to try n keep it cold

You are underestimating the amount of heat. 800A will produce a fifth of a megawatt. The air conditioner needed to extract that would fill half the room and use 200 amps itself, wasting much of the revenue from the mining. Actually there is no need for aircon, a big fan will do. Big, in this case, meaning like an aircraft propeller.

To give you a sense of scale, when the Antminer S9 was launched, I planned to heat our house by mining. The S9 uses 1400W and produces 14TH/s i.e.100mJ/GH. We have an old, draughty 4-bedroom house which in winter needs 10-12kW for normal occupancy. I planned to supply up to 8.4kW continuously with 6 Antminers and the rest from gas under thermostatic control, as the boiler would still be operating to heat the water. That's 36A for our house. You want to pack up to 22 times that into one room?!

But, having prepared the acoustic enclosure and ducted fans etc, the bottom fell out of the market and it was not cost effective to run the miners at GBP 0.14kWh. Looking at current Aus residential electricity prices I am surprised it is profitable now. As for the electrical installation you would need to get a quote from the power company. Depending on location it could be tens of thousands of dollars to have a suitable 3-phase supply put in. The actual wiring in the house is simple enough.

Reply to Question about getting 400+ amps installed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net