Discuss Question about hot tubs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Craig2022

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hey, I’ve been asked to put power for a hot tub.

I was sent a manual from the customer which is called “AllegroMagicOwnersManual” after looking into this they say it needs a minimum of 48AMP for their products. Meaning this will need a brand new supply pulled in.

My only issue is I haven’t worked with hot tubs before and I’ve spoke to couple people that are saying this sounds way to much Amp for a hot tub?

Has anyone any advice on hot tubs or worked with the model in question?

Thanks

maybe you should hand it over to some one that know what they are doing .it may be out of your comfort zone .considering you are a trainee,

Yes, they have a 5.5kw heater plus pump etc. Install it on it's own 50 or 60 Amp circuit same way you would with a shower.

Some tubs have an either or function with their heater and pump. Some have the ability to have both on. Sounds like you have the later.

Hi - manufacturer's instructions seem to be 240V, 48A and RCD. If the house was PME and the tub is on the ground remote from the house, I'd be inclined to TT the new installation. But that's just me :) .

Even if it was on wooden decking with nothing else around?
Wet decking can be conductive... I would cover the whole garden in copper sheet bringing the area to the same potential.... {joking}...

Wet decking can be conductive... I would cover the whole garden in copper sheet bringing the area to the same potential.... {joking}...
better get your ladders up to the church roof then

Why anyone would TT a hot tub with no extraneous metallic parts available to touch is beyond me.

Maybe because IET guidance says that when outdoors you should?

(Extract from wiring matters)
All electrical work should comply with BS 7671. There are no specific requirements for electrical installations associated with hot tubs in BS 7671. However, where a hot tub is located outdoors in the open air, for example a garden, IET Guidance Note 7 Special Locations recommends that the requirements of Section 702 (swimming pools and other basins) should be applied. The requirements for swimming pools are given in Section 702 of BS 7671:2008+A3:2015. IET Guidance Note 7 also sets out the risks.

But it's only guidance and down to risk assessment at design stage by whoever is designing and installing I suppose.

My understand, for what its worth as it was imparted a long time ago, is that any metallic parts of the installation would be earthed. The extraneous conductor in this case would be the ground especially when wet and with bare feet.

Also, by TTing the remote installation it will likely retain RCD protection if DNO experiences the dreaded floating N fault. All very unlikely, I know.

Maybe because IET guidance says that when outdoors you should?

(Extract from wiring matters)
All electrical work should comply with BS 7671. There are no specific requirements for electrical installations associated with hot tubs in BS 7671. However, where a hot tub is located outdoors in the open air, for example a garden, IET Guidance Note 7 Special Locations recommends that the requirements of Section 702 (swimming pools and other basins) should be applied. The requirements for swimming pools are given in Section 702 of BS 7671:2008+A3:2015. IET Guidance Note 7 also sets out the risks.

But it's only guidance and down to risk assessment at design stage by whoever is designing and installing I suppose.

My understand, for what its worth as it was imparted a long time ago, is that any metallic parts of the installation would be earthed. The extraneous conductor in this case would be the ground especially when wet and with bare feet.

I understand that it is classed as a swimming pool. That is obvious. But BS7671 says no such thing about TT’ing a swimming pool blindly. If there is nothing to earth or bond then what is the risk of electric shock?

And are you seriously saying that we need to bond the ground? Can you explain to me how we would go about this? I will get my popcorn.

Also, by TTing the remote installation it will likely retain RCD protection if DNO experiences the dreaded floating N fault. All very unlikely, I know.

Will an RCD work without a neutral?

Not hot tub bod meself, but read suggestions here (with PME) of using that earthing facility, and local rod. These hot tub parties can get pretty raunchy apparently, lots of water being splashed around, & bodies everywhere.

Reply to Question about hot tubs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock