Discuss Question for domestic sparks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jim90

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got a potential PJ coming in from a family member and I just would like some advice. I haven't done any investigation yet.

Basically a family member's house has or what it seems, fluctuating voltage. I've sat at the house for a few hours and noticed the lights in every room, including plugged in lamps, dim harshly for a few seconds. It's very inconsistent and not linked to electric shower / kettle startups. It's a lot harsher.

The house has had upgrades within the past year or two, extension and new bonding conductors. All certificated by a reputable spark.

I was thinking of checking over connections in the DB, whilst keeping my loop tester plugged in and keeping an eye on any fluctuations in voltage. Also, carry out loop tests and do a few inspections here and there. I don't really want to pull everything down if I can help it. If I can't find anything, I'll go to dead tests just incase, however the installation is protected by dual RCDs.
If this was a job at a commercial site I would hire a voltage recording meter thingy and come back after a week. After checking things over obviously.

I'm hoping it's just fluctuations in voltage, maybe being too close to a substation etc? It's in a built up area so I was going to ask the neighbours if need be!

If this is the case, could I fit some sort of voltage optimiser? Or would this be an issue for UKPN? Am I missing something? Would you guys do any different?

Thanks. Will post updates when I attend.

Do the dips occur at 'regular times'? By that what I mean is at times likely to see an increased load, like ad breaks in commercial TV. First thing in the morning? Or are they entirely random?

If the later, I may be inclined to check all the connection from the head all the way through to the CUs. If the seal fairies were involved in the board change, could be a case of someone not tightening up the connections properly.

The dips are random and frequent. With fluctuations being random on how much the lights would dim too. I've never seen anything like it.
From what I know the neighbours haven't noticed any issues. I'll find out for myself when I attend. There is a small hospital within a mile radius. But if it affected every person within that radius I would expect the problem would've been sorted by now. The hospital is a very old building.
I'm thinking a Zs will show me if there is any issues coming in from the supply off the road?

I'll certainly post an update soon, looking to get down there this weekend.

I would see if any other neighbours have the same problem, may be a particular phase issue. Last time I had similar problem at a property it was a loose connection on the suppliers overhead, it affected every third house for 3 different properties.

Totally agree... had similar (unexplained dimming after testing the installation) in a previous house, one phase had an issue so only roughly one in three houses in the street had a problem.

DNO blamed a fox getting zapped at a substation bizzarely.

I would see if any other neighbours have the same problem, may be a particular phase issue. Last time I had similar problem at a property it was a loose connection on the suppliers overhead, it affected every third house for 3 different properties.

I would be looking at the incoming supply and meter connections ......

Yeah agreed that's the first place to check along with CU connections. It's a good few years back with the issue I mentioned earlier, but now I do recall that the owner said as well as lights dimming her radio would cut off and on also. That obviously provided a clue that it wasn't affecting only one cct. I suggested she contact the dno after I had checked the tails etc at the CU.

But a quick knock on a few neighbours doors can give a clue as to whether the problem is wider spread and not local to one houses installation.

Probably some scallywag down the street growing weed in the loft!

Two weeks ago I went to a house to do a board change. Fed by overhead cables. On my initial checks I noticed that the incoming voltage was 258 volts and Ze was just over the limit. Checked back to the 60/80 amp switch just after the meter and the problem was there as well. Also the lights were flickering constantly and the flickering was rapid. Called the DNO on arrival they confirmed all that I had found and said it was probably due to somebodys solar P.V. down the road!! They were going to fit a voltage monitor. I asked if they were happy for me to continue and they said yes. Did the board change everything else tested O.K.

Reply to Question for domestic sparks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net