Discuss Quick question (live & SW) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nicsin02

Hi guys, i am normally a domestic spark and ive done a little of commercial and industrial work, this morning i was asked to take down and replace a flourescant light fitting wich was connected with an emergency gregg fitting, so after i had replaced the light it didnt work correctly, i was always under the impression it was brown (LIVE), black (SWITCH LIVE) and grey (Neutral)..... but i was told i got my browns and blacks mixed up, i was really suprised as the guys were adamant that i was wrong, i may well be ! am i?

thanks

It doesn't matter which core you use for which cable in a 3c and earth, as long as you only use the bare copper one for a CPC, you just have to make sure all the conductors are correctly identified at each termination.

i generally use black for L and brown for S/L. but there's no hard and fast rule.

The additional black core of a 4 pole 'klik' ceiling rose is the permanent live with the brown being switched live as it is in the standard 3 pole version.

I have seen both conventions used, it can cause confusion on sites where different sparks have wired things differently Lol.

My own preference was to use the Brown as PL, and the Black (sleeved) as the SL, but I have worked on sites where it is the other way.

To be honest Iam not sure which is the correct way, I know the recommendation now is to use the Grey as Neutral, and was implemented to disassociate the use of black (now a phase colour) from being used for the Neutral.

I have seen both conventions used, it can cause confusion on sites where different sparks have wired things differently Lol.

My own preference was to use the Brown as PL, and the Black (sleeved) as the SL, but I have worked on sites where it is the other way.

To be honest Iam not sure which is the correct way, I know the recommendation now is to use the Grey as Neutral, and was implemented to disassociate the use of black (now a phase colour) from being used for the Neutral.

And if you think of old colours, what colour was neutral? Blue.

Red, yellow, blue.
New colours...
Brown, black, grey.

Grey neutral.

That's how I was taught :)

The additional black core of a 4 pole 'klik' ceiling rose is the permanent live with the brown being switched live as it is in the standard 3 pole version.
Same with 'Flex7' connectors - black is permanent, or 'auxiliary' live.
For some reason this seems to be a matter for debate - a lot of sparks insist on using black as switched live (some even want to use the black as neutral), which causes confusion and causes stuff to not work.

And if you think of old colours, what colour was neutral? Blue.

Red, yellow, blue.
New colours...
Brown, black, grey.

Grey neutral.

That's how I was taught :)

Agreed,

I can remember when the new harmonised colours first came into use, and on one site I worked at, half the sparks wired (3 core Armoured cables) the black as the Neutral (grey as Earth), and the other half wired the Grey as Neutral (could have been interesting!), luckily they were sleeved correctly and the two teams were terminating both ends of the same cable, else it would have been a very different story, and I can remember us all getting issued with an 'idiot card' showing the correct use of recommended colours.
It wasn't the individual Sparks to blame for this fiasco, we were only doing as instructed, but due to two different gaffers having their own ideas lol.

Reply to Quick question (live & SW) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock