Discuss Quiet spells with new business in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I started up my own electrical business back in November last year and it's not been too bad so far. I find that there are times when i have lots on and things are rosey - then the next time can be a week or two with not much coming in.

Just now is one of those periods - been busy the last few weeks however this week and next is looking quite quiet until end May / start of June where I have a couple of bigger jobs coming up.

I wanted to see other self employed sparks out there have experienced the same? I know that I've been trading a very short while and as everyone says the first year in business is tough.

Has anyone that has found the same been given any good advice during your first year?

My website is here if you would like a nosey.

www.db-electrical.biz

Dave

The first 2 to 3 years can be a bit of a helter skelter ride - so this is normal, plus you will find the work can be quite seasonal, and things like general elections can delay spending....

Sitting around waiting for people to find your website isn't going to help - so get some decent leaflets printed, and use your quiet days to "Target" areas....

It takes time to get established .... and get good old word of mouth working for you.

PS - like you gallery - good photos

You and I started at roughly the same time and yes, I have found it exactly like that. A spurt of work and then nothing for what seems like an age, then another spurt.

It's funny you post this, I've just been sat having a coffee with @Madocks talking about such things, that and our tool fetishes :)

I'm trying to network with other tradies and local businesses so I can refer them on when I get asked for a plasterer or a plumber etc., and hopefully they'll return the favour when they need a spark.

Networking wise, you could look at a networking group like BNI, more structured and business oriented than a lot of networking groups with a focus on generating referral business for the members of the chapter. I'm giving it a whirl, but we're in the process of starting a new chapter in Newport so it's a bit slow going at the moment, but there are other chapters in Wales that are passing a lot of business.

The first 2 to 3 years can be a bit of a helter skelter ride - so this is normal, plus you will find the work can be quite seasonal, and things like general elections can delay spending....

Sitting around waiting for people to find your website isn't going to help - so get some decent leaflets printed, and use your quiet days to "Target" areas....

It takes time to get established .... and get good old word of mouth working for you.

PS - like you gallery - good photos

Thanks Murdoch for the feedback, much appreciated. I've some leaflets left from months ago that I still need to use up. They have my old logo on it, but guess it doesn't matter..... targeted marketing drop tomorrow it is!

Thanks Murdoch for the feedback, much appreciated. I've some leaflets left from months ago that I still need to use up. They have my old logo on it, but guess it doesn't matter..... targeted marketing drop tomorrow it is!

Do you have logo'ed work wear? Loads of people are out in their gardens these days and first impressions do count...

You and I started at roughly the same time and yes, I have found it exactly like that. A spurt of work and then nothing for what seems like an age, then another spurt.

It's funny you post this, I've just been sat having a coffee with @Madocks talking about such things, that and our tool fetishes :)

I'm trying to network with other tradies and local businesses so I can refer them on when I get asked for a plasterer or a plumber etc., and hopefully they'll return the favour when they need a spark.

Networking wise, you could look at a networking group like BNI, more structured and business oriented than a lot of networking groups with a focus on generating referral business for the members of the chapter. I'm giving it a whirl, but we're in the process of starting a new chapter in Newport so it's a bit slow going at the moment, but there are other chapters in Wales that are passing a lot of business.

Hi there - thanks for the feedback.

That's quite spooky as we seem to have something else in common - BNI! I tried this a few months back and decided to commit but after another couple of weeks (we still handnt launched - only 7 members) of listening to the same presentation, it took quite a dark turn and more into a sales pitch and piled the pressure on us to get members. Needless to say I pulled my application and decided to instead invest the money in getting my NICEIC accreditation. Once I left, so did the other members and we've since started our own networking group meeting once a month. No fees and no pressure and seems to be working so far.

It is tough though as you are on cloud 9 when you are busy - but when the quiet comes you start stressing and questioning if this is going to work. And then the cycle starts again!

Just looked at your website Dave and your work looks spot on, nice to see and not that common these days sadly.
I think given time you'll be really busy it's just a bit inconsistent at the start.

Just looked at your website Dave and your work looks spot on, nice to see and not that common these days sadly.
I think given time you'll be really busy it's just a bit inconsistent at the start.

thanks Dave, thats really kind of you to say. I enjoy taking pride in my work - to be able to put examples of my work up to receive a comment like that makes it all worth it. I hope that you're right re the consistancy - just need to keep telling myself that I think. I've my first assesment for the NICEIC next thursday so i'm hoping that this will let me tap into some letting agents.

Hi there - thanks for the feedback.

That's quite spooky as we seem to have something else in common - BNI! I tried this a few months back and decided to commit but after another couple of weeks (we still handnt launched - only 7 members) of listening to the same presentation, it took quite a dark turn and more into a sales pitch and piled the pressure on us to get members. Needless to say I pulled my application and decided to instead invest the money in getting my NICEIC accreditation. Once I left, so did the other members and we've since started our own networking group meeting once a month. No fees and no pressure and seems to be working so far.

That is spooky :)

I'm pleased to say our group isn't like that. If there's anyone putting pressure on me it's me because I can see the potential benefits once it gets going. Whilst I've lived down in Wales for nearly 20 years, I've pretty much kept myself to myself, worked hard and worked away alot so my circle of friends and contacts is very small. Strange thing is, I join BNI and meet another woman from my home county who grew up about 10 minutes from where I worked last. She moved down here with her hubby and son when hubby got a job about 10 minutes from where I live. The world is a small and strange place :)

Good to hear your own networking efforts are working out though. I really enjoy getting out and meeting other business owners, already got some great advice, and well... the breakfast's not bad either :D

It is tough though as you are on cloud 9 when you are busy - but when the quiet comes you start stressing and questioning if this is going to work. And then the cycle starts again!

Absolutely.... it is most definitely an emotional roller coaster. But despite worrying about money more than I have in a long time, I feel better in myself. Everything is being done on my terms and if I graft hard it's me that gets the benefits rather than someone else. Love it.

That is spooky :)

I'm pleased to say our group isn't like that. If there's anyone putting pressure on me it's me because I can see the potential benefits once it gets going. Whilst I've lived down in Wales for nearly 20 years, I've pretty much kept myself to myself, worked hard and worked away alot so my circle of friends and contacts is very small. Strange thing is, I join BNI and meet another woman from my home county who grew up about 10 minutes from where I worked last. She moved down here with her hubby and son when hubby got a job about 10 minutes from where I live. The world is a small and strange place :)

Good to hear your own networking efforts are working out though. I really enjoy getting out and meeting other business owners, already got some great advice, and well... the breakfast's not bad either :D

Absolutely.... it is most definitely an emotional roller coaster. But despite worrying about money more than I have in a long time, I feel better in myself. Everything is being done on my terms and if I graft hard it's me that gets the benefits rather than someone else. Love it.

yes - I know exactly what you mean. And making your own money and see it come into your bank account is much more satisying that someone else paying your wage each month.

Not sure if you are on Facebook & Linkedin but this has also really helped my business. It's great for advertising but its a little sad how the majority of people will go to your FB page and not pay much attention to your website that you've spent ages on! Heres the link to my FB page if you'd like to like and follow - perhaps we can share ideas.

DB Electrical Ltd - https://www.------------/dbelecltd/

Liked and followed :) I only joined Facebook for the business. The good thing about it is how easy it is to leave a review. Every invoice goes out with a request for feedback via Facebook or TrustMark. Facebook is winning hands down at the moment.

I agree with @Dave OCD , looked at your gallery and it's good. I've got to get into the picture publishing habit, or more precisely taking pictures of the finished article. I normally end up snapping one half way through and then forget at the end.

Very nice website. Loving the photos too,
Only problem is getting people to the site. Try adding meta tags to your site for Google?

Unlikely people will Google db electricial and more likely to search for "electrician in aberdeen" like I did. Couldn't see your site on the first page(Well only page.. Who goes on the second page of Google)

Signwritten van and logo work wear is the way to go. Can't think of any other suggestions other than what's already been said.

Best of luck

Consider changing your domain name from .biz to co.uk , it might be worth registering on directories such as yelp, you might even want to try a paid sponsored listing for a month, to see whether it works or not get a call tracking phone number and use it on the listing, that way you'll know how many calls you're getting from the listing itself and can calculate your ROI.

To be fair Dave it looks like you have laid the foundations well mate, website looks well, you have the correct attitude too, you will make it through the troughs in work and hopefully make it crack. All the best!!

Reply to Quiet spells with new business in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock