Discuss Quinetic & flood lights in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I’ve just hooked up a couple of quinetic switches (one being the in line built-in receiver, QURS1W) to a (Vtac) 50w LED floodlight and part of the array remains dimly lit when it is switched off. Now it more than meets the minimum wattage (5w) so i’m assuming it’s a simple compatibility problem with the receiver. Assuming i’m not missing something (?), can anyone kindly recommend a floodlight that IS compatible? Quinetic floods, as far as i can tell, all come with built in receivers which i don’t need ....

Truly grateful for any help

Does the switch have a neutral connection? If not, this is why. For the switch to generate the power required to operate the electronics, it has to pass a current through the load in the case where there is no neutral connection, with older lights this wouldn't have been a problem but because LEDs require such low currents, it's enough to make them glow.

I've had a similar issue with some security light switches.... when installed, the client had all halogen lamps and they worked a treat. Move forward many years and the halogens have failed, he's replaced them with the only lamps he could get (LEDs) and consequently the lights either glow and the switch is happy or they don't and the switch fails to work because it' can't generate the power it requires to work.

Does the switch have a neutral connection? If not, this is why. For the switch to generate the power required to operate the electronics, it has to pass a current through the load in the case where there is no neutral connection, with older lights this wouldn't have been a problem but because LEDs require such low currents, it's enough to make them glow.

I've had a similar issue with some security light switches.... when installed, the client had all halogen lamps and they worked a treat. Move forward many years and the halogens have failed, he's replaced them with the only lamps he could get (LEDs) and consequently the lights either glow and the switch is happy or they don't and the switch fails to work because it' can't generate the power it requires to work.
Yep, it’s a Quinetic switch - no neutral. Thanks for the response. I know you can strap a capacitor in parallel around the lamp but I was hoping that I can put this floodlight to use elsewhere and just get hold of a Quinetic-friendly one rather than fiddle around ...

Reply to Quinetic & flood lights in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net