Discuss RCBO on TT earthing is it safe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yr ys

-
Reaction score
Is it safe to use single pole RCBOs on a TT earthing system without an rcd and just a double pole breaker?

What would the max allowable earth resistance be to cut out a earth to neutral fault?

Thank you for your kind reply.

Sorry I meant because the rcbos are single pole it wouldn't disconnect the neutral due to a earth to neutral fault. It would detect it however and disconnect the phase only. Am I right? And a double pole isolation is good enough no need for an rcd?

Sorry I meant because the rcbos are single pole it wouldn't disconnect the neutral due to a earth to neutral fault. It would detect it however and disconnect the phase only. Am I right? And a double pole isolation is good enough no need for an rcd?
Yes, that’s right.

Double check manufacturers instructions if using RCBOs on a TT system as some state that certain types are not suitable for use such as Schneider single pole devices.

You do need a method of isolating all live conductors on a TT system but this can be done at source by one single pole device, however I personally would install double pole devices on TT systems on all final circuits as there could be quite a large potential difference between neutral and earth and a double pole device would allow you to safely isolate both live conductors on a final circuit.

Is it safe to use single pole RCBOs on a TT earthing system without an rcd and just a double pole breaker?

What would the max allowable earth resistance be to cut out a earth to neutral fault?
No offence to you either chap, just having a giggle over a late lunch :)

Double check manufacturers instructions if using RCBOs on a TT system as some state that certain types are not suitable for use such as Schneider single pole devices.

You do need a method of isolating all live conductors on a TT system but this can be done at source by one single pole device, however I personally would install double pole devices on TT systems on all final circuits as there could be quite a large potential difference between neutral and earth and a double pole device would allow you to safely isolate both live conductors on a final circuit.

Hi and thanks for your kind reply

You mean isolate all circuits with one double pole breaker right?

This problem is present with SP RCBOs regardless of which earthing system is in use.
The RCBO will detect the fault on the N and disconnect the L.

All good.

Why do some manufacturers specifically say do not use on TT systems?
Because they're the manufacturers and they can say that.

All good.

Why do some manufacturers specifically say do not use on TT systems?

I couldn't say for certain, presumably it is to cover their arses in case of issues, also they probably sell the same devices in country's where it is not allowed and its cheaper to make all the instruction sheets the same than print a different one for every country.

Also some manufacturers specify lower Zs limits than the often quoted 1667.

Reply to RCBO on TT earthing is it safe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock