Discuss RCD disconnection times on 2018 forms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S P

-
Reaction score
Evening all, happy Friday!

On the new forms there is only one column for RCD disconnection times.
I understood you would just record the highest of the 5x readings but on looking around to confirm I found this article on Professional-Electrician:

"The model forms in Appendix 6 have been changed so there is now only one box to record the highest disconnection time for an RCD test. Stroma recognises that this new provision may cause confusion in the industry and advises that where RCDs are provided for Additional Protection, inspectors should carry out X1 and X5 tests and record the highest disconnection time measured on the new form."

18th Edition: Changes to Inspection & Testing - https://professional-electrician.com/18th-edition/18th-edition-changes-inspection-testing/

I read this as the highest overall of the 4 readings, which will likely be 1x.

Thoughts?

RCD'S are tested in relation to thier function e.g. 30mA RCDs providing additional protection tested at 5x (0 &180 deg) and highest value recorded.
RCD'S rated 100mA or higher used to provide fault protection or fire protection, tested at 1x (0&180deg) and highest value recorded.

I prefer to record both the highest 1x and 5x values regardless of the new requirements. There is enough space in the box to write (for example) 38.2/18.8.
In the description of work I state that readings are recorded as 1x/5x (maximum measured value).

I believe, we are only supposed to record the 1 x I delta n.
The 5 x I delta n test can be performed to prove the device provides additional protection, but there’s no requirement to record the result.

I prefer to record both the highest 1x and 5x values regardless of the new requirements. There is enough space in the box to write (for example) 38.2/18.8.
In the description of work I state that readings are recorded as 1x/5x (maximum measured value).

That made me laugh! :)
Not if you write on the ones from the book..

I second guessed the earlier advice as I've read much good advice from yourselves, Spin and OCD..
So on further research I found this, which I believe backs up the previous thoughts:

"Where an RCD is provided for Additional Protection it must have a tripping current (IΔn) of 30mA or less and trip at 5 x IΔn in 40ms or less. Therefore, for a 30mA RCD a test current of 150mA needs to be applied to ensure the 40ms disconnection time is achieved. It is unnecessary and inappropriate to test RCDs with nominal tripping currents above 30mA, such as 100mA RCDs, at 5 x IΔn as they do not provide Additional Protection.

Where an RCD is installed for Fault Protection or Fire Protection they should be tested at the nominal tripping current, 1 x IΔn, to ensure that the disconnection time is achieved for the type and rating of the circuit and the earthing system employed. For example, where provided for fault protection on a TT earthing system for final circuits up to 32A the RCD should trip at less than 0.2s (200ms)."

http://files.stroma.com/certification/stroma-technical-guide-rcds.pdf

On the "new" minor works forms from guardian who do all our testing, there is only an option to record x1. I've questioned it.

Reply to RCD disconnection times on 2018 forms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock