Discuss RCD keeps tripping. Perhaps i've wired it incorrectly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Startn

DIY
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

In my house, I have a three-phase power system and this RCD that's rated for 40 A max and 30 mA leakage current. It keeps constantly tripping on loads larger than a phone charger (ie an electric kettle or toaster). This house is to EU standards (I live in Latvia).

I'm wondering if I wired the RCD correctly or if that's not the correct way to use a three-phase RCD (perhaps I should replace it with three one-phase RCDs).

If it's the correct way to wire an RCD, then it might be an N-GND fault. If this is the case, then how would i go about troubleshooting this issue with just a multimeter?
RCD keeps tripping. Perhaps i've wired it incorrectly? acad_AZyUb8WUlC - EletriciansForums.net
I'm attaching a picture of how I wired my circuit board.

Thank you in advance for your help.

TL;DR
RCD keeps tripping, RCD might be wired incorrectly or might be N-GND fault. HELP.
An update: I just tested the rcd with "test" button, and it didn't trip. Lights were on and everything. Perhaps a faulty RCD?

Check the wiring diagram that came with the rcd, it may be that the incoming and outgoing cables are mixed up.

Having three individual RCDs, one for each phase, would mean you only lose part of your installation if one trips.
Not if you have any 3 phase loads, of course.

Faulty RCD is still a possibility.

, one for each phase, would mean you only lose part of your installation if one trips.
Check the wiring diagram that came with the rcd, it may be that the incoming and outgoing cables are mixed up.

Having three individual RCDs, one for each phase, would mean you only lose part of your installation if one trips.

Faulty RCD is still a possibility.
RCD keeps tripping. Perhaps i've wired it incorrectly? chrome_FTnL0CIh3j - EletriciansForums.net

I've found the official documentation on Schneider electric website, and to me, it looks correctly connected. I might try buying new RCDs and see if that helps.

Clear as mud.

So the incomer is at top of rcd? Neutral is on leftmost terminal.

Double check your own connections…

Clear as mud.

So the incomer is at top of rcd? Neutral is on leftmost terminal.

Double check your own connections…
Yeah, triple-checked and everything.

I think when I first bought it I dropped it, so that might've been the thing that broke it. Haven't tried the other RCDs, going to try that later.

looking for facepalm emoji

Yeah, dropping it won’t have done it any good.

Try a replacement first, and if it’s still faulty, you may need the services of a professional with the correct equipment to trace circuit faults

Try a replacement first, and if it’s still faulty, you may need the services of a professional with the correct equipment to trace circuit faults
I understand the fault bit needing a professional, and I take electricity very seriously.

I will update you on the RCD situation once it's swapped.

Reactions: DPG

I do have a question. Let's say I have a TN-C-S system, would that interfere with an RCD?

I don't know if it's a TN-S or TN-C-S system, but I've had this question for some time now. I will try to contact my power provider for more details.

Ok, so turns out it was a faulty RCD.

I replaced it with three one-phase RCDs and it didn't work at first, but then I realized it needed to have separate outgoing neutrals, and now works just fine.

Thank you for pointers.

Reply to RCD keeps tripping. Perhaps i've wired it incorrectly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock