Discuss RCD omission in a commercial setting. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to install 2 x 32amp 3 phase sockets, one is to be used to plug in a forklift charger, the other one they are not yet sure but want one available for the future. What are people's thoughts on the omission of RCD's in what circumstance would a risk assessment negate the need for an RCD protected socket ? Is it only if the outlet is to used by an electrically skilled person?

Thanks,

Personally I would only be happy to omit RCD for technical reasons, such as the nature of the load and usage means RCD nuisance trips are likely and/or have serious impact on safety or business continuity.

As @freddo says the socket/RCD outlets are probably the easiest and most cost-effective solution as 3-phase RCBO are costly, not always available, and/or take a lot of space in the DB as a MCB add-on unit.

Also may places keep the DB locked for good reasons, at least with the RCD at the socket if it does trip it is easy for the operator to reset it.

I'm going to throw this on here; BS 7288 RCD sockets can not be used for additional protection, I imagine the Ceeform variants will have the same caveat.
The incorporated rcd on a three phase socket wil be to EN61008.

Hi all,

I have been asked to install 2 x 32amp 3 phase sockets, one is to be used to plug in a forklift charger, the other one they are not yet sure but want one available for the future. What are people's thoughts on the omission of RCD's in what circumstance would a risk assessment negate the need for an RCD protected socket ? Is it only if the outlet is to used by an electrically skilled person?

Thanks,
Why do you feel you need to omit the RCD?

The cost of RCD add on modules for 3ph stuff is usually very high,, as well as taking up lots of extra ways in the db, so we mostly fit 3 phase switch interlocked sockets that have a built in RCD.
Just had a quote for Hager ones and they are £165 ?

Just had a quote for Hager ones and they are £165 ?
I ended up using MCB in the DB and putting some 3-phase RCD, and double-pole single phase RCD, in an additional DIN enclosure as better/cheaper than some of the RCBO options I was quoted. I also needed the DIN rail box for other stuff so the cost & time to put it in was only different by going 4-row instead of 2-row.

I ended up using MCB in the DB and putting some 3-phase RCD, and double-pole single phase RCD, in an additional DIN enclosure as better/cheaper than some of the RCBO options I was quoted. I also needed the DIN rail box for other stuff so the cost & time to put it in was only different by going 4-row instead of 2-row.
I find myself doing this instead of the RCBOs as well. Some of the prices are just ridiculous

Reply to RCD omission in a commercial setting. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock