Discuss RCD protection maths? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

My colleague and I were having a discussion today about RCD protection, as you do, and the reasoning behind why it is stipulated that 30mA should be the rating of an RCD for additional protection. Now we all know the rules regarding the maximum trip times for the various tests, but I just wanted to understand it more and ask how the maths works? Is an earth fault of 30mA at the various maximum trip times a significant figure in terms of survivable electric shock? Im not sure I quite fully 'get' how the 40msx1 and the 200/300msx5 rule works mathematically? Does it bear any relation to the 0.4secs disconnection time that we are supposed to achieve for circuits <32A and or distribution circuits in TN systems? and the 0.2secs for TT...?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

30mA for 300mS is considered to be a surviveable through the body current. some say 10mA would be even safer, though with today's electronic gear everywhere, that would probably cause nuisance trips. the 5x figure assumes that a 150mA current needs interrupting quicker.

Thanks Telectrix. So does the 300mS bear any relation to our 0.4sec (400mS) maximum disconnection time? And why are the older 4293 RCDs afforded a 200mS threshold?

The BEAMA RCD Handbook has some information about the physiology of electric shock protection, pages 8 and 9.

Archy - snap!

Attachments

• BEAMA RCD Handbook - Guide to the Selection and Application of RCDs .pdf
    2 MB · Views: 19
Thanks Telectrix. So does the 300mS bear any relation to our 0.4sec (400mS) maximum disconnection time? And why are the older 4293 RCDs afforded a 200mS threshold?
no relation. the 0.4 secs.is the disconnect time for fault protection, whereas the RCD is for additional protection.

Beama guide answers my questions thanks guys ! Thanks too tel for clarification on disconnection time.

Love this forum!
just send a magnum or 2 of scrumpy. :):):).

Reply to RCD protection maths? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock