Discuss RCD Protection on 3 phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a customer who has a farm and they are using a 3 phase roller mill outside, the mill has a DOL attached to the side and the cable from this is trailed indoors and plugged into a 32 amp 5 pin socket in the barn.

The socket is fed from the 3 ph DB via a 16a MCB (c type) the DB has a 100a main switch.

My questions are is this acceptable? I assume this should normally be wired as fixed equipment via an isolator etc for indoor use, what is the best way to offer protection for use outdoors?:confused:

I am assured that the mill is only used in dry weather and kept covered over to protect the motor & DOL etc.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

newp,
whats your'e scope of works on this ?are you doing an alteration or certification . i only ask because while the above doesn't sound acceptable do you really want to get involved ?

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the reply, customer was probably the wrong word to use as they are family, I haven't actually been asked to do anything as they normally do everything themselves (typical farmers) I was just asked is it safe and my thoughts are probably not but just wanted to be sure to give the best advice as I don't normally get involved in commercial work.

I know you are probably going to say get a professional commercial electrician in, but I was just interested to find out how protection could be provided.

Mark

I get ton's of stuff/requests like that. Some don't like what I say if they don't sobeit.

If I was doing it, assuming no rcd on mains...pull off supply from a suitible breaker adjacent board, install rcd and I would also use earth rod/s (many farm outbuildings have relied on armourings swa from main dis board for years and years)

Say its the only way I know how to do it..xxxx£ I don't know other methods...pass the buck if they don't believe you. But at least you can get round it if they ask for dodgy stuff. That is the method I always now use. Some agree some say I'll let you know...either way I can sleep easy

Hi
would agree with wattsup,maybe fit rcd protected skt on adjacent wall to mill on the inside of barn,and support cable on bracket outside to mill or possibly catenary wire to avoid possible damage.

Hi all,

I have a customer who has a farm and they are using a 3 phase roller mill outside, the mill has a DOL attached to the side and the cable from this is trailed indoors and plugged into a 32 amp 5 pin socket in the barn.

The socket is fed from the 3 ph DB via a 16a MCB (c type) the DB has a 100a main switch.

My questions are is this acceptable? I assume this should normally be wired as fixed equipment via an isolator etc for indoor use, what is the best way to offer protection for use outdoors?:confused:

I am assured that the mill is only used in dry weather and kept covered over to protect the motor & DOL etc.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Crikey, this seems a bit too good for farmers, normally they dont use MCB's, or fuses for that matter. If they do happen to have any sort of fuse in the system, you can be sure it has a bit of fence wire in it ! Up here in Yorkshire, farmers are so tight you have a job to get them to update ANYTHING !

Anyway I digress. I would do an earth loop test, and fit an RCD on the socket, after all it is up to them what gets plugged into it is it not ? If its not the mill, it will be the welder, or somthing else. You can only go so far.

It has taken them 20 years to upgrade the DB to include MCB's before that it was fuses and a selection of 2, 3 & 4 inch nails for upgrading the fuses :)

Thanks for all your advice guys - really appreciated.

Mark

Reply to RCD Protection on 3 phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock